Advice on liberty head quarter eagle purchase

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by detectorben, Sep 4, 2018.

1. detectorben

detectorben Member

Need some advice from experts here on what quarter eagle to purchase.

I am a complete newb when it comes to coin collecting. I only collect coins I find metal detecting to this point. My ultimate goal has always been to find a gold coin while detecting but as many know this is a rare once in a lifetime(maybe) find. My alternate plan has been to save all clad coins found detecting and cash them in to buy a gold coin. So as of right now I have just over $400 in clad to cash in.

So my question to all of you is...what is a good price for a certified liberty head quarter eagle? What things do I need to look for or stay away from? I want something certified in a holder but that is all I know so far. What grade or details etc should I look for or stay away from? Any input or advice you all may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MikeinWyo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Certified is nice, but graded is not really necessary. If you buy from one of the major dealers in the USA, the chances of getting a fake is minimal. Look at Provident, MCM or some of the others.

4. Kentucky

Randy Abercrombie and 1916D10C like this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

MikeinWyo, Kentucky and 1916D10C like this.
  6. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

That’s a great strategy to save all your clad you find for free and buy a coin you really want!

Oldhoopster likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If I might suggest, if the coin itself doesn't matter and you just want a Liberty head gold coin, could I suggest the half eagle instead. Price is just about the same, but you get twice as much gold that way plus a larger more impressive coin.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. detectorben

detectorben Member

Please excuse my dumb question but how is a half eagle with twice as much gold the same price as a quarter eagle??

9. detectorben

detectorben Member

10. detectorben

detectorben Member

thanks! i think my next goal will be a morgan. i doubt i will ever dig one lol.

11. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I think he means if you got a circulated grade instead of purchasing a Mint state example.

12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The quarter eagles carry a higher premium than the half eagles. Plus, the price is "about" the same, not the same.

To illustrate, check Numismedia FMV.

http://numismedia.com/fmv/prices/2hfgld/pricesgd.shtml
    1900 MS 60 is $354

http://numismedia.com/fmv/prices/5gld/pricesgd.shtml
    1900 MS 60 is $395

I don't know why this is the case, I just see that it IS the case.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You may want to visit a coin show if there is one in your area. Most are listed on the Numismaster site. Depending on the size, you should have no problem finding some. You'll also have the opportunity to look at a number of diff coins, in hand and choose the one that you like that best meets your budget.

Nothing wrong with using some of the other online recommendations. I just like to see the coin in hand before purchasing whenever possible.

A good local coin shop may also work. The biggest worry is getting a fake, so buying from a reputable shop, dealer at a show, or online seller is key

1916D10C likes this.
  14. detectorben

detectorben Member

Good advice thanks. Is MCM linked earlier a reputable online dealer?

15. detectorben

detectorben Member

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Circulated or Mint State, doesn't matter.

Correct I said ABOUT the same.

Gold is expensive so more collectors chase the quarter eagle that has less gold in it, but that extra demand causes it to sell for a higher premium over the melt value. The lower demand and lower premium for the half eagles results in them selling for just a small amount more than the quarter eagles. It seems strange but it is true. Here is a MS 1881 half eagle being sold by the same company that Kentucky listed for $50 more than the quarter eagle, but it has $160 more gold in it. It is certified, Mint State and the same grade as the quarter eagle, and almost 20 years older. A 19th century coin instead of a 20th century one.
    https://www.moderncoinmart.com/1881-liberty-head-5-gold-half-eagles-pcgs-ms62-sku54980.html

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I have never dealt with this company, so I don't think my opinion is valid, but the CT members that have posted about this company have outstanding credentials and credibility IMO.

18. Kentucky

I have bought from them with no problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted