Advice on Disposing of a Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Oct 13, 2020.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I have some medieval coins, mostly early English pennies I want to sell but have no dealers nearby to take them to and I don't want to mail them abroad. The dealers of ancient coins I buy from don't seem to have much interest in these coins here in the States. What I am looking for is the name of collectors or dealers here in the US who I could contact about buying these coins. Thanks for any help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

How about selling them here, on CT?

ominus1 likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I thought you meant disposing as in throwing away. Almost threw a fit haha

benhur767, ominus1 and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Ken Dourney?

ominus1 likes this.
  6. kevin McGonigal

I guess I am hesitant to buy or sell using the mails to buy or sell from folks i don't know, especially after reading the "you might get ripped off" warning on the for sale page. I figure someone in business at an established site is safe to deal with. I usually buy and sell at a couple of nearby stores and at the local coin club shows but the virus has put a crimp on this sort of thing. I thank you though, for the suggestion and reply.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

Thanks. I have bought from him , a very reputable dealer in ancients. I did not know he also dealt in medievals.

8. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I don't know, have a look at his vcoins store.

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I would try to sell them here, I'll take a look as I'm interested

ominus1 likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have bought and sold to CT members, and the degree of honesty here is extremely high (only one bad apple I am aware of).

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I sold most of my English hammered coins by consigning them to Forum Ancient Coins' retail store. Forum takes care of the photography and descriptions; you name the price. Forum gets a percentage when a coin sells. If you're not in a rush for the funds, this works well. Retail sales can take time.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

13. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

14. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have shipped a little more than 3000 coins over the last 5 years including 700 belonging to a number of friends and have not had a loss yet. I have shipped to The US, Canada and the UK. Depending on the value of what you are shipping I would employ a product that has some form of tracking and/or expedited feature. On four occasions the Auction house paid for the shipping as well as the insurance. This one was just one of many who were shipped this time to CNG and now is in a good home ( I hope) Kassander Av Stater 300-290 B.C. In the name and types of Alexander III 19 mm Photo by W. Hansen Xalexanderav2.jpg

Edessa, PeteB, Bing and 2 others like this.
  15. kevin McGonigal

Near Philly.

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..well, i trust most peeps here in ancients...i've sold 3 coins thru here...and you could get ahold of JAZ to sell them for ya...:)..and really, selling here isn't too risky cause you get the $ 1st anyway..."D

Kentucky likes this.
  17. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I suppose you could look for dealers of medieval coins (particularly English coins) on VCoins and then see if any of them are interested in what you have. Especially if they're within driving distance.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Conversation sent. For anyone wondering more or less the same thing, it would be really good to give an idea if the coins are mostly broken and questionably identifiable or rarities bought for $1k and up. Our suggestions would be different for nice William I's than cut Edwards. It would help to know the definition of 'some' since 10, 100 and 1000 might make a difference. A photo might help.

ycon, PeteB, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted