Advice needed again please.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Jul 14, 2019.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

DCAM Proof silver Kennedy half dollars just melt my butter. For the coin it is, do you think I am wasting money on the big price difference to buy certified slab or just buy them raw. I have both, and the raw ones I have purchased have all been very nice. Just would like your thoughts on the subject. I know, these are low budget coins, but that is how I am able to still enjoy collecting on my SSI income. Here also is a couple of pics of my latest purchase I have coming.

Attached Files:

NPCoin, ken454, tommyc03 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If they 'melt your butter', then enjoy the purchase. Shop for the best buys (especially the more contemporary) as they can sometimes go for a song. And stay away from ignoramus (MS/Proof 70) examples unless they're really a bargain. MS 69 looks just as nice as a 70. In fact the line between the two grades is a very fine one.

4. GUNNER63736

Y

5. GUNNER63736

Good thoughts. Thanks.

6. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

love theJFK half's I went whole hog on the P-D nifc now I need to go back and do all S, s sure the silver ones will probably hold their value better!

7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Everything greenie said.

Personally I wouldn't pay the premium, unless I wanted a single example for a certified type set. But I might see things differently if they melted my butter like they do yours.

8. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Love all Kennedy half's MS and proofs even nice clad ones! Collect what you love!

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The modern Proof coins, with their consistent DCAM surfaces, are truly lovely. There is a guy at my local club who submits these coins in slabs to the monthly auction, and I drool over them. The trouble is ALL modern Proof coins are DCAMs, and it’s been that way since at least the early 1990s, if not before.

Old DCAM coins are a big deal and tough to find. The latter ones are easy to find. If you love them that much you can buy a lot of modern Proof sets (but not the real recent ones) for short money. You need to keep your love of these coins in perspective if maintaining the value of the money you spend on coins is your goal.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. 2x2 $averKrazy

are u saying the older D-cams are pricier ?

11. TONYBRONX

LOVE 64 PROOF KENNEDYS AND SILVER CLADS 65-70. BOUGHT MOST OF THESE MANY YEARS AGO SOME VERY VALUABLE!

12. 2x2 $averKrazy

1563163523270876765548659403557.jpg

13. TONYBRONX

Nice collection.

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The old DCAMs from the 1960s and before can be a lot pricier because they are a lot rarer. Only the coins that are DCAM on both sides count. The one sided ones don’t.

15. 2x2 $averKrazy

thanks guys I really love the Kennedy era I remember watching the moon landing ! and the jargen that went with it one giant step , the eagle has landed, etc, seeing the foot print , great memories !

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes, before 1973 cameos are unusual and deep cameos are rare. After 1973 cameos to varous degrees become the norm but deep cameos are still unusual until the 90's when deep cameos become commonplace. Naturally the older rarer DCAMS command higher prices.

17. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Collect what you like! Buy the coin, not the holder! The only important thing is that it "melts your butter" as green18 said. So if you are happy with it, it doesn't matter if it's in cardboard, or plastic, or even what kind of plastic. So long as you are happy with it, then go for it.

Don't limit yourself to individual pieces, either. Sometimes you can find some really nice ones in proof sets...sometimes for just as much or cheaper than the individual coin!

If you have the luxury of having local coin shops, hit them up every so often and look through their proof sets. If you find a looker, then bargain for it. You may be surprised at far a dealer will go down to get rid of proof/mint sets.

Some dealers may even have sets that were broken up, missing the quarters and dollars. Look for those too as they are usually on the cheap. Most importantly, don't just jump on the first opportunity. Being on a budget, you want to make sure to take your time and not only get what you like, but also at an acceptable price.

Draft saved Draft deleted