Advice - Best shipping service for international? Higher value and heavy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a lot of experience finding the best ways to ship coins internationally, but I'm struggling to find the right option for this one.

I'm shipping a package of ancient coins that weighs about 1.5 pounds and is worth $1k+ from the US to Australia. Seller paid $25 in shipping.

Obviously firing it off via uninsured International Mail isn't a good idea. Ebay offers an international service, but they only offer ShipCover, which I have heard won't cover coins of any sort. Fed Ex's website quoted me $150 to ship it. Right now, it looks like my best option is to split it between about 4 smaller packages and hope that they all make it.

I know that I've gotten packages from multiple auction firms that are both heavier and more valuable - how are they shipping these things internationally for $20-30?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

That's what I would like to know. Bulk Mail. lol

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It might be as simple as "they're self-insuring".

People often mention Hugh Wood insurance for their collections; that covers shipping as well, I believe. It wouldn't be economical to buy it to cover a single shipment, but it carries enough other benefits to be worth considering.

Draft saved Draft deleted