Advice Appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by COIN STASHER, Apr 1, 2005.

1. COIN STASHER

COIN STASHER Senior Member

I've become interested in the Westward Journey Nickels, and bought all of the rolls, Coin and Currency Set, and Proof and Uncirculated Nickel Sets from the mint. Recently however, I missed out on The Westward Journey Coin and Medal Set, a four coin set which included the Sac Dollar, two proof nickels, and a silver-plated Peace Medal. Only 25,000 sets were reportedly issued for $19.95 each, but now E-bay and other national dealers want anywhere from $59.95 to $89.95 for this set. My question is: Should I bite the bullet and get one of these sets at 3 or 4 times the issue price before the price goes higher, OR wait and hope the price comes down??

I also noticed the mint delayed issue on the American Bison Official First Day Coin Cover until 4/04/05, and limited the sets to five per household at $19.95 each. Is this a good buy or should I wait on this as well. Thanks for anyone's thoughts!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's a question nobody can really answer for the price may go either way in the future.

4. raxafarian

raxafarian New Member

If you have everything else 'westward related' you may as well buy one now and be happy with it.

As above...nobody can predict where they will go.

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well--I didn't buy any so I'm 99.99% sure they will go up!!!!

Speedy

Cheech9712 and Steven Hufschmidt like this.
  6. COIN STASHER

COIN STASHER Senior Member

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the advice. It is deeply appreciated.

7. crispy1995

crispy1995 Spending Toms like crazy**

Found all mine in circulation...

...Why are my posts always seeming to be the last....?

8. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I am with Speedy on this one.. My stock broker tells me he buys against what I want. Hmmmmmm

Tlberg likes this.
  9. bandito974

bandito974 Senior Member

I got my 1st one on ebay for 50.00 and my second for 55.00.
    I love the set, and don't mind what I paid for it at all.

I'd probably buy another if I had the chance, I believe that the nickle sets will probably be one of the best investments one can make. Even at 59.00 you can't go wrong..

Tim Lackie Jr likes this.
  10. learning

learning New Member

Hi,

I'm learning here now, so to everyone here my questions might seem odd.

What are the Westward Journey Nickels?

Thanks for your help?

Tlberg likes this.
  11. wannnacoins

wannnacoins New Member

Help, I'm New and Learning

Hello Everyone,

The Title saids it all... I"m new here and leaning, but I hope to form a common interest with everyone here.

I've been exploring around, and everyone seems so nice and helpful.

I've got a few questions please??

Please tell me what this letters stand for. Sorry I don't know all the slang, but really want to
    learn as much as I can.

MS70

MS63

MS64 PL.

(ANACS, NGC)

Also I’ve got a Eisenhower Bicentennial United States Dollar.
    On the Back Side it the Bell with the letters DRW right up under the bell.
    There looks to be a line in the bell.
    I see no mint mark at all this Dollar.
    Could take picture if someone thought I needed to and
    It would help to see if it’ of value?

I’m learning so please be patience with me.

Help is appreciated!

Hey, are the Susan B. Anthony Dollar of any Value?

I've been collecting coins for over 20 years.

I don't know what I have of value, really if anything.

Thanks In Advance for Your Help

Walter

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well they are the nickels dated 2004-2005....that is when they changed the REV. of the changed the REV of the coins.

They are GRADES---I would suggest that you buy the ANA Grading Guides----grades start at:
    Poor-1, AG, Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Extra Fine, About UNC, MS60-70 and then you also have Proof grades from PF60-70.

Those are grading companies---such as PCGS, and ICG.

That is normal for it---unless it is really high grade then it is worth $1

Hope this helps!

Speedy

13. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Welocme to the forum wannacoins and learning. Have fun. Speedy has pretty much answered your questions. Have fun.

Phoenix :cool:

14. Eskychess

Eskychess Senior Member

Just my opinion to the original quesiton - Not that I'm radically going to say anything different than the rest. It is my experience that if one waits for a coin price to go down - they usually wait a very very long time and many times do not reach their goal and they wish they had just bought the coin in the first place. If there is a coin you really like - (and the Westwards are nice coins) - then I say get them. Try not to overpay, but if you have to on a reasonable margin - I say go for it. Chances are if this coin or set appeals so much to you - years down the road it is probably going to appeal to someone else as well and the investment will change hands successfully. Most of the time coins do go up - through attrition and the supply and demand curve - the sky is the limit! It just depends how high the sky is sometimes :)

Esky

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I'll add my 2 cents here. In the 70's I collected those Bicentennial Quarters thinking someday they would go way, way up in value. Not long ago I dumped several hundred dollars worth in my savings account. If I would have had that amount in the bank originally, I would have some interest anyway. The future of any coin is like the future of anything. Remember the Beanie Babies?

Tlberg and Tim Lackie Jr like this.
  16. PaperPatty

PaperPatty Junior Member

Can I ask a question that might have an answer? I like to read the old to the new. I'm getting the newest post first. Hard to follow the conversation...can I change? Most times I can.

Love, PP

17. GDJMSP

Sure you can, just up to the top of any page, click on User CP. Then on the side of the page that opens click on Edit Options. Then scroll down a bit on that page until you see Thread Display Otions. Then click on the little arrow where it says Thread Dispay Mode. Then click on Oldest First, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Save Changes.

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

I know a good Oracle if you really are interested :D

19. wvrick

wvrick Senior Member

i don't know about those but i was offered a set of one of each pf70 graded at a nice price . i had to turn them down though i want to finish my barber dime set before any more major purchases.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Odd thing about this series......2005 is listed in the Red Book (2008) but the 2004 is not. Any thoughts?

21. GDJMSP

What series ?

Draft saved Draft deleted