Adventures on eBay..

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LRC-Tom, Jul 24, 2020.

1. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

A potential buyer had sent a message, asking if my pictures were of the actual coin, or of some stock photos. Of course I said they were of the actual coin.

So he made the purchase, a nice-for-the-grade PCGS 1805 quarter.

I get this message today:

"I received the 1805 quarter today. The reverse is not the same as in the photo that I asked about."

Of course, I told him this was the identical coin, but that if he wanted to return the coin, that was fine.

But seriously..how, and why..would someone take a slabbed coin and somehow manipulate the picture of the reverse? I suppose anything is possible, but..sheesh...

eBay life...what can I say...

Garlicus, C-B-D and Robert Ransom like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

People manipulate photos all the time. There could be something wrong with just the reverse and a seller will take a picture in such a way to avoid showing that issue.

On the other hand, some pictures are perfectly acceptable and the buyers are unreasonable.

Anything is possible, especially on eBay.

Garlicus, TypeCoin971793, NSP and 4 others like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

A woman I know does this all the time and 20% of the sellers reduce the price and refund the difference. She is probably not the only one. Today, eBay in on the side of the buyers and they know it. Returns can become costly for sellers and some yield to the tactic to keep the sale.

Garlicus likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Can we see the coin?

Gallienus likes this.
  6. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Yep, where's the beef?

I've only bought on Ebay, never sold. The last thing I bought was a factory refurbished late model laptop computer for my son.

Not only was there a non-functional repair of the keyboard but the laptop wasn't even the same model as I ordered: less memory & lower gen CPU.
    It's really hard as there are some dishonest sellers on Ebay.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My two latest sales on eBay both resulted in non-payment cases filed against the buyer. I hate people

Beefer518, Garlicus and C-B-D like this.
  8. LRC-Tom

He didn't say it was a bad picture. He said it was a different coin on the reverse than what the obverse picture showed. In a slab. I thought that was over the top.

9. LRC-Tom

I'll show you all the coin when I get it back.

C-B-D likes this.
  10. Gallienus

'Tales' of Two Quarters...
    Hopefully it was not like this???
    tales-of-2-quarters.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Seriously? Did that happen to you?

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not to laugh at the inconvenience to you, but that did make me laugh a bit that it's just such a lazy effort of a scam. Hopefully they just made an honest mistake sending the wrong thing

13. Gallienus

No I was just making a joke for the OP. I pictured a slightly difference reverse (small eagle of 1796) vs the Hereldic Eagle of 1804-07? which was a pun on my laptop computer buying experience.

In certain realms EBay can be useful. My son had a report on MacArthur in 2nd grade. I bought a slabbed NGC-65 MacArthur Philippines silver Peso {1947-s} on Ebay for ~$60. This was as expected. However, for something requiring discretion/ judgement, I prefer regular auction companies.

Draft saved Draft deleted