Adventures in LRBland (campgate madness)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Sep 2, 2015.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

So... I had the irresistible urge for another mixed lot and this time went for some Late Roman Bronzes. Sure, it is possible to read books on LRBs and study RIC to better understand the classifications, but it's much more fun to have unidentified coins in hand while doing so.

The lot I chose did come with a picture, one in which the coins were simply piled haphazardly. There were a smattering of campgates and I didn't have any of those, so that lot got my bid.

The value of the lot was definitely in the campgates. Although none are high-dollar, if I sell most of them I'd definitely pay for the lot and the leftovers. The remainder of the lot consists primarily of lower grade commemoratives which I'll probably keep just for funzies, perhaps giving some away to people who can't believe they can have and hold a ~1700 year old coin :).

I don't have any dedicated books for LRBs but utilized Dane's amazing spreadsheet for campgates. Dane is the woman behind Wildwinds. Her other site is where you can find numerous painstakingly compiled spreadsheets. At first it was overwhelming but after attributing a few I got the hang of it. One thing was interesting: the majority of the campgate coins were listed as some degree of rare. As a group, campgates of most emperors are quite common. If you sort them further by a number of relatively esoteric details (dot on door, certain mints, etc), certain variants become "rare". I don't know what her sample size was when determining rarity. However, I seriously doubt those degrees of rarity matter for most campgates... any interested party would likely value the individual coin based on condition and strike rather than a rarity grade based on relatively esoteric details.

Of the eighteen campgates, sixteen were of Constantine I, one of Constantine II, and one of Crispus. Most were from Antioch. Most are of a similar common style. Many have quite a bit of silvering. I with one of them had open doors but these are all doorless. Obviously, I don't need to keep all 18 similar-looking campgates so I'll set a few aside and probably sell the rest at some point.

When beginning the attribution process, the most difficult thing was figuring out the bust style (laurel vs diadem vs pearl diadem; draped, cuirassed, etc). For purposes of Dane's spreadsheet and rarities, details such as head wear, clothing, bust direction, little dots, field letters, and mintmarks were considered even though it didn't always result in a different RIC number.

I learned a few things while attributing these campgates but have just scratched the surface. There is much more to read and understand. If you have any interesting tidbits about these campgate coins, please share your comments.

Here are the first ten, with brief attributions. If you see any errors please let me know. The remaining eight will be in the next post since there is a limit to the number of images which can be uploaded to each post.

Please post your favorite campgates :).

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 78, SMATΓ, rarity R4 (??? How rare can it be if there were three of them in this small mixed lot?):
    Campgate6R-Constantine-SMANTgamma.jpg
    CampgateR9-ConstantineI-SMANTgamma.jpg
    CampgateR3-ConstantineI-SMANTgamma.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 78, SMANTE, rarity rating R3:
    CampgateR8-ConstantineI-SMANTE.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 78, SMANTZ, R3:
    CampgateR4-ConstantineI-SMANTZ.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 81, SMANTB, dot in doorway, R3:
    CampgateR1-ConstantineI-SMANTB.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 84, SMANTE, R4: (pretty!!)
    CampgateR11-ConstantineI-SMANTE.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 84, SMANTZ, R3:
    CampgateR15-ConstantineI-SMANTZ.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 63, SMANT, Δ-E across fields (9th officina; avoiding the "unlucky" theta, this officina used delta + epsilon, 4 + 5), R4:
    CampgateR7-Constantine1-SMANT-delta-episilon.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 63, SMANTΔ, R1:
    CampgateR5-ConstantineI-SMANTdelta.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice! Well, there was probably a hoard discovery after RIC VII went to print. It's ancient coin collecting after all - rare coins can turn into common ones overnight. It just takes one well-placed shovel.

TIF likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The remaining eight.

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 71, SMANTΓ, dot in doorway, R1:
    CampgateR10-ConstantineI-SMANTgamma.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 71, SMANTZ, dot in doorway, R1:
    CampgateR13-ConstantineI-SMANTZ.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Alexandria 34, SMALB, C1:
    CampgateR2-ConstantineI-SMALB.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Arles 264, P*AR, R3:
    CampgateR16-ConstantineI-PstarAR.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Heraclea 28, bust left, three turrets, SMHB, dot in right field, R1:
    CampgateR14-ConstantineI-SMHB.jpg

Constantine I, RIC VII Nicomedia 153, SMNE, C1
    CampgateR12-ConstantineI-SMNE.jpg

Constantine II, Trier? Should have PTRE in exergue but I don't see a P. Perhaps off flan, or filled die? I'm calling it RIC VII Trier 505, C3
    CampgateR18-ConstantineII.jpg

Crispus, RIC VII Heraclea 18, MHTΓ, C2
    CampgateR17-Crispus-MHTgamma.jpg

randygeki, vlaha, Collect89 and 14 others like this.
  5. John Anthony

Here is a page from Bruck that gives you most of the PROVIDENTIA AVGG and CAESS types. Things to look for when you're shopping campgates.

providentia avgg varieties.jpg

6. John Anthony

I think you're right on the Constantine II of Trier, 504. It can't be anything else. You get your choice of P and S officinae, and it does look like a P strike-though.

TIF likes this.
  7. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Wow, very nice lot TIF. Have fun with attributing 'em! ;) Oh and great pics.

TIF likes this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what a nice group of campgates TIF! JA posted a very nice alexandrian campgate in his LRB thread as well.

campgates are still on my target of opportunity list, though i do need a "small bust" like your crispus.

here's the last campate i picked up, a constantine ii from an uncleaned lot...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it rough, but i like the reverse....lots of bricks and a cool mint mark.

randygeki, vlaha, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! Just my personal preference, but I'd take 18 campgates over 18 soldiers and standards anyday.

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  10. John Anthony

The really common types can certainly get very tedious. We could add falling horsemen to the list as well, and the Rome and Constantinople commems, and a few others that seem to litter the world of ancients ad infinitum.

I like to collect the major varieties and coins that exhibit discrete mint styles, or coins that are engraved by an artist that put some spirit into his work. Granted, that can still get tedious to some.

However, think of all the modern collectors that collect microscopic varieties. That I can't understand. I'm not judging it mind you - I just don't understand the appeal. Next to the miniscule re-punched mint marks and doubled dies of the moderns, the soldiers and standards types seem like a universe of kaleidoscopic multifariousness.

Mikey Zee, Kentucky and TIF like this.
  11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow Tif, i always say Go big or go home.. you hit out of the park on this lot.
    I have a couple but can't find the pictures, will be back.:rolleyes:

TIF likes this.
  12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

"Obviously, I don't need to keep all 18 similar-looking campgates so I'll set a few aside and probably sell the rest at some point."

?

So you have coins in your hand. Yeah, some duplication, but they are slightly different. What is this term "sell coins" of which you speak? I do not understand the concept. I buy duplicates ON PURPOSE.

Btw, I am with you on GIVING them away to show others how great our hobby is, but trade COINS for simply money? I am confused....I mean, these are COINS!

KIWITI, TIF, Kentucky and 1 other person like this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

You're right of course. One of the great things about ancients is the breadth of collecting mindsets it can accommodate. One person's tedious minutiae is another person's kaleidoscopic multifariousness :). You can dip your toe into the pool or dive into the ocean. I probably fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

TIF,
    Nice campgate coins. I also like to collect them. My favorite things about these coins are the different patinas you can run across. As for rarity ratings you must take them with a grain of salt. If you want to look, these are mine. They are a lot of fun to collect. Somehow they got a little unsorted.
    Doug H. http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4654

Mikey Zee, TIF and zumbly like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Haven't you been known to let some out for adoption? : - )

Mikey Zee, TIF and Jwt708 like this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool group of campgates @TIF !

That image you posted @John Anthony will have to get saved and printed for my camp gate collection.

TIF likes this.
  17. John Anthony

Alisdair Menzies recently translated this book, and it's available on Amazon in its inexpensive paperback edition here. When he first published it, he asked me to write a review, which is the first on the list. I guess somebody else found it less useful, to which I say, "whatever." :rolleyes:

As far as cheap, handy reference volumes for LRB varieties go, you can't beat Bruck.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    TIF likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow TIF, that's a whole lotta campgates!! (they're all super nice as well, congrats!!)

Yah, I still only have my 3 examples (all with doors on 'em!!)

Constantine-I
    constantine I rocks.jpg

Constantine-II
    constantine II rocks a.jpg constantine II rocks b.jpg

Constantius-II
    constantius II rocks a.jpg constantius II rocks b.jpg

TIF ... ummm, I still need a campgate "without" doors (maybe next year's B-day?)

;)

=> coingrats again on adding all of those sweet campgates to your collection!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    randygeki, dlhill132, vlaha and 6 others like this.
  19. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was a one time thing my wife forced. I still miss every one of them, and my wife isn't allowed to come along on coin deals anymore.

stevex6, Kentucky and Ancientnoob like this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful 'campgate' posts everyone!!!

You have to love this addictive hobby of ours---so many ways to collect an unbelievable variety of fascinating coins.....and all minted so many centuries ago.

dlhill132 and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted