Adventures in cherrypicking EP 2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, Feb 19, 2016.

?

Did I do well?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

So, two days ago I casually walked into the coin shop. I looked around the display cases and found a damaged 1867 2 cent piece for $1.50 (now a pocket piece) and an 1843 Seated dime for $4.50. Yeah, I was on a roll, even though the 1843 wasn't in the best of shape. Nothing in the 50 cent bins. However, no coin shop visit is complete wothout some junk silver. But what if I cherrypicked the junk silver?

I asked to look in the junk silver dime bin. There, some on the surface and some hiding, were some pretty neat earlier date Mercs. I picked out five "cherries": a 1923, a 1927-S, a 1928-D, a 1920-D, and last but not least... A 1916 with a mintmark on the back! In fact, the coin shop owner is awesome and even helped me hunt! Kudos to him! Here are some photos of my finds: image.jpg image.jpg
    (These five Mercs cost $7)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Not bad. Did some junk silver hunting today too. Picked a few mercs to go in my grading set.

4. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

You done good my man,filled 5 holes for right money and have good "trade material"

Omegaraptor likes this.
  5. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I assume the "mint mark on the back" was an "S"? Because if not, you did REALLY well.

Paddy54 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Hint at the next cherrypick: It MAY involve 1969 mint sets.

Draft saved Draft deleted