Advantages of CAC stickered coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Owle, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I have done several CAC submissions because of the market advantage of doing so. I will give several reasons for CAC submissions, probably others could provide other reasons:

The CAC stickered coin is usually price-supported at levels set by CAC, an invaluable fact when you have $2000 plus coins, such as MS65 $20 Saint Gaudens double eagles or MS64 and above $20 Liberties. In fact, CAC generally does not lower its bids when gold fluctuates into the 1500s as happens with non-CAC coins.

If you have a low-population CAC stickered coin and you call up some of the top buyers for those like Harry Laibstein, Heritage or Spectrum, they will give you the minimum they would be willing to pay for that coin, often, over the phone. CAC also would likely give you what they would pay for the coin. In my experience they don't pay more for one CAC stickered coin over another even though one may be nicer.

There are coins where paying for the CAC service does not give you enough market advantage to warrant the submission and cost (and possibility you don't get the sticker) such as under $200 common collector coins.

The reasons not to submit are similar to why you should not submit to an auction--the fees outweigh the benefits of doing so.

CAC price supports are somewhat like a "Bluesheet" type system for PQ or above average coins. And with Greysheet's listing of CAC minimum pricing now, you can easily find out what you would get for a given CAC coin if it is in there. Many are not in Bluesheet--AU Bust coins, MS62 coins, key dates beyond what they currently cover. So you have to contact someone who will make a real offer to you based on the CAC sticker to find out what the current "Coinplex" pricing is for that issue.

In summary there are advantages to CAC. Look at CAC price on Bluesheet for an 1873 $20 Liberty in MS63 CAC vs. a low end piece. Huge price differential. Look at CAC price for an 1891 Morgan in MS65 CAC vs. Bluesheet for non-CAC coins. Huge spread. So for the savvy consumer or coin dealer there is an advantage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I am going to make this brief, as this has been debated so much on several threads: Advantages of CAC---nice quality coins, that are appropriate in grade. Eye appeal of coins, as CAC coins definitely have eye appeal (my opinion, and sorry if you do not agree). Marketability and value are significantly enhanced. I see few downsides to CAC, and while it is not the "decision maker" in my buying a coin, it certainly isn't something I would ignore. Of course, I follow the buy the coin first, but unlike some, I will NOT ignore the holder. Not the least apologetic about doing that--I like artistic looking coins AND value. :)

4. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I agree, Owle. Well said, sir.

6. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

Wait untill mr.brklyn hears this.....

7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I'm fine with CAC as a company, but what grinds my gears is that you can't look up on their website anywhere the coins that FAILED the stickering. Thus, if a coin gets passed from one person to another over many years, CAC could see that coin multiple times.

By CAC maintaining the "secrecy" of those coins which were sent to CAC but did not pass their "test" assures increased revenue, but for the collectors you never know if your coins have already attempted the CAC gauntlet and failed...

Furthermore, these data are certainlymaintained in the CAC databases, and if it were my business the first thing I would do when I received a package of coins for the CAC service, would be to see if they had already been submitted before.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Do you have the same complaint of the TPGs?

Why or why not?

Just curious...Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted