WTS: Advanced Coin Photography System

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by rmpsrpms, Aug 13, 2020.

1. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

I just completed and shipped what is probably my most advanced system yet. It is built upon the System-X2 core, so it has a focus rail rather than a fine-focus block, but my client wanted to be able to shoot coins with "pseudo-axial" lighting. This necessitates that the coin be tilted toward the light so that it shines directly off the coin and into the lens. To achieve this I included a goniometer so the coin can be precisely tilted at any angle, and a new diffuser design. The system also includes the new Jansjo-replacement lights, and a Rodenstock 75mm Apo-Rodagon D M1:1 duplication lens to give brilliant and color-correct images. And finally, my client wanted to be able to shoot full slabs with the system, but to do that with the Rodenstock lens would have required a very tall stand and significant modifications. Instead, I realized that I could incorporate an additional Arca clamp and plate on the BACKSIDE of the stand, so that the camera could be removed and mounted with the 18-55mm "kit" lens for full slab or large medal shooting. Taken all together this is a very capable system!

PM me if you are interested in a similar system, or in any other systems shown at my webpage: www.macrocoins.com

I am able to offer just the "Backside Copy Stand" option for any of my systems which utilize the aluminum extrusion for a column, so any of my System-9, System-X, or System-X2 stands, for $110. PM me if you want to add this option to an existing stand you have purchased from me.

See pics below of the new "System-X3". Let me know any questions about it!

Here is System-X3 configured for slab shots (the backside camera connection can be added to any System-9/X/X2):

DSC_4030_5.JPG

Here is System-X3 configured for straight-shooting using the new diffuser:

DSC_4033_5.JPG

This toned Peace Dollar (my client's coin) was shot through the slab in the above configuration:

PeaceObvRodStraight.JPG

Here is System-X3 configured for pseudo-axial lighting with new diffuser and goniometer:

DSC_4034_5.JPG

Here is the same toned Peace Dollar shot through the slab with the pseudo-axial configuration:

PeaceObvRodPAxial.JPG

CoinBreaux and Rick Stachowski like this.