Advanced Coin Conservation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Insider, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Saw a neat demonstration in a private class: 1964 Proof quarter brought back to "gem."

Coin was pre-dipped and than dipped. This left a virgin coin with spots that did not come off after the dip. Next came a two stage proprietary :sorry::(;)conservation treatment. Spots gone :cool: (A few were left untouched for now so you could tell the coin was not switched)! Complete treatment from beginning to end took less than three minutes. Wonder if NCS knows about this one? Class worth every penny! :greedy::greedy:.

Knowledge is power! PS No Hairlines!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Maybe you should share that proprietary process for the cheapskates out there;) Or is it a secret that only the proprietor knows and charges people like NCS??

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Was the reflectivity reduced at all?

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I wonder if it would pass the sniffer?

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very nice!!!

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ah, better living through chemistry. ;)

8. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

The proprietary mix was indeed Mountain Dew.

9. Insider

No

Don't see why not. Coin was neutralized, dipped in acetone, and air dried. Besides, AFAIK they don't waste time "sniffing" $15 coins!

Used by a technician at one of the conservation services (not NCS).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. -jeffB

Pretty sure this demonstration on a $15 coin wasn't meant to attract customers with more $15 coins. :rolleyes:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Evan8

I would love to figure out the secret formula and procedures they use. They can't keep it secret forever, just ask KFC:hungry:

12. Insider

IMO, that is a very narrow point of view. Business is increased if you do a good job not on a coin's value. I've seen collectors drop off VF common date Morgan dollars to have them slabbed. I hope this post enlightens you: :yawn:

At the time of the demonstration, the employee was conserving over forty proof quarters dated 1956 to 1964. I have no idea what any of these are "worth." Since I was curious, I looked up a $15 price in trends for a PR-65. What's a PR-67 go for? Besides, if a coin goes from a PR-64 to PR-66 or 67 I'll bet the dealer will be happy and his coins sure will look better and be easier to sell w/o the spots.

Finally, I'm told that conservation is just a process. A $$$$ coin gets the same treatment as a $ coin if the problem is the same on both. Only thing that may change is which member of the team does the conservation.

@Evan8 He used a white gel-like substance.

Seattlite86 and Evan8 like this.
  13. -jeffB

Good point. If the process is easily learned, takes only a few minutes once you've mastered it, and doesn't require super-expensive materials, why not apply it to two-figure coins?

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dollar Tree White Petroleum Jelly! Eureka!

15. Evan8

I was just thinking maybe I dont want to know what they use after all:vomit:

Kentucky likes this.
  16. -jeffB

Now, show a little respect for this seminal demonstration of conservation.

17. Evan8

LOL

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

White gel like substance, Pro sports ban that stuff. Performance enhancing damage?
    :D

Kentucky and mikenoodle like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Good Lord.......

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's why you hide it just behind the belt

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Frankly, I find this fascinating. I wonder how much the pricetag will be once they get all the Ts crossed and Is dotted?

Draft saved Draft deleted