Adriaan's Top 10(+) for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Adriaan, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Adriaan

Adriaan Well-Known Member

Dear all, 2020 has been a tough year many people but fortunately all my loved ones are approaching the end of the year in relatively good health. A year like this helps us remind what is important in live.

Coin wise 2020 was an average year. Got blown out of the water in many auctions but managed to pick up so nice coins for my collection from dealers. As a relatively new LRB coin collector I fear I can not impress you as much as some of the Top 10s that were posted previously. However, I can asure you that I am more than happy to show you these acquisitions!

10)
    147_OR.png

Early issue from my favourite London mint. Nice bust of Constantius I with shield and spear. CT 3.01.026; RIC VI 39

9)
    148_OR.jpg
    FORTVNAE REDVCI for Constantius I from the Trier mint. Rare reverse for another favorite mint, Trier.

8)

153_OR.jpg

BONO GENIO PII IMPERATORIS for Constantine I. Although the genius on the reverse is more than common, the reverse legend is not.

7)
    154_OR.jpg

I did not yet had a coin of Fausta, so that was an easy purchase. I think it has eye-appeal

6)

155_OR.jpg

VIRTVS AVGG ET CEASS NN for Constantius I
    War gear on the obverse, battle scene on the reverse. I love it. I also like the sand patina (do not worry, bought from a respectable dealer!)

5)

I really like the coins from Carthago. They have reverses unique for this mint and the flans are big and crude. This year I added a coin for Constantius as Augustus and the AVCTA variant to my collection. I consider them both scarce Carthago_1.png Carthago 2.png

4)

I love beautiful coins, even when common...
    A genio from Trier and one from Lyon...

185_OR.jpg

Gert_1.png

3)

188_OR.jpg

LMCC 8.03.001. Constantine's last ADVENTVS issue. Ugly as a warthog... but rare, from the beloved London mint, commemorating a historic event (Constantine's last visit to London) and bought from Lee Toone... so it is special to me!

The rest will follow in the next post!

eparch, Chris B, Seated J and 31 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Those are all magnificent examples of the period, @Adriaan. You're absolutely right about the Fausta. Reminiscent of all the Antonine and Severan female hairdos, but coolly 'translated' into a c. early 4th c. ACE style. And the convergence of Constantius Chlorus with the London mint is just Cool, Cool. Seriously great stuff!!!

4. Adriaan

Adriaan Well-Known Member

2)
    I real like antoniniani but the are the are scarce for Constantius Chlorus... I added three this year:
    Ant_1.jpg Ant_2.jpg 182_OR.jpg

1)
    First place is for a coin I really love.. Only for the reason that it speaks to me... and that is what collecting is about! (of course rare for the insignificant variant in reverse legend... ;))
    Gert_2.png
    Last but not least:

Happy holidays for all of you, stay safe, and keep educating me in 2021 with your fantastic posts !

Curtisimo, Chris B, Jay GT4 and 27 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice collection for 2020, @Adriaan . Congrats on the fine coins!

6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I choose Genio from Trier, Fausta with the bright star, as well as the war scene under Constantius I. Every hope for Christmas and the coming year 2021. Cheers.

7. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Very nice...my favorite is the Fausta, great portrait.

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

great coins...that Fausta stands out for sure...i'll be needing a Chlorus too...:)

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice! Some incredible examples.

10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice coins indeed, congrats.

11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

That Fausta is a showstopper:snaphappy:
    And excellent #1!:singing:

12. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I love LRBs and esp. those of Constantine. I appreciate the rare BONO coin—and in that condition!

13. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

These are great examples of your collection @Adriaan. This is such an interesting era of numismatics and one of my own favorites. The history is rich in drama, and a respectable collection like yours is within reach of most collectors. The two high grade Constantines from the western mints are my favorites followed by the Fortuna from Trier. It is as you suggest, quite an uncommon type.

14. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Fantastic stuff!

SC

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wonderful assortment of Tetrarchic pieces! For more general collectors like myself, the 'Genius standing' type is so ubiquitous that it's sometimes easy to forget there are other interesting types and varieties as well. That said, I love #4 as well... what a beautiful coin! My favorite is #6, with the left-facing military bust and battle scene reverse.

16. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Adriaan, I'm a sucker for rare & attractive folles & you scored some beauties this year :D!. My favorite would be #6, the follis of Constantius I in battle dress with the great action scene on the reverse :happy:. My 2nd favorite would be #10, a rare issue of Constantius I from the London Mint. My 3rd favorite would be #4, the handsome follis of Constantine I from the Trier Mint. This coin has great eye appeal :cool:.

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great year of collecting

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted