Adding to my small Roman Egypt collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Nov 10, 2018.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Came from halfway across the world so the anticipation was pretty high for this one. I already had a decent 3rd century Hadrianopolis provincial depicting Serapis standing, but I wanted a nice portrait of him. There were a few more listed, including one with a better torso, but what drew me in about this Serapis was the amount of remaining detail in the head and the modius. My new coin has great portrait of Nero as well, so definitely another big plus about it.

Egyptian coins have certainly grown on me this past year, namely Ptolemaic and early Roman period. Not too hyped yet about the 3rd century Alexandrian provincials though, but I definitely do want one of those eagle reverse types of the late 3rd century (of Diocletian, Claudius, Constantius, etc.). Just haven't found one I like yet that's within my regular budget.

Nero, Roman Empire (Egypt)
    Billon tetradrachm
    Obv: ΝΕΡΩ ΚΛΑΥ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ, radiate head right
    Rev: AYTO-KPA, draped bust of Serapis right, LI ([year] 10) before
    Mint: Alexandria
    Date: 63-64 AD
    Ref: Milne 222

nerotetradrachm.jpg

Feel free to share anything relevant: coins, info, etc. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice one.

I didn't love the third century tets either, but I have added many over the past two years with no regrets. Many are common and might seem boring, but there is still plenty of history.

I'll share a Tet from one of the emperors to issue that last Alexandrian Tets. Also very scarce.

[​IMG]
    Constantius I (305 - 306 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Potin Tetradrachm
    O: ΦΛA KωNCTANTIOC K, laureate bust right.
    R: Homonoia standing left, raising arm and holding cornucopia, L Γ = year 3 (294/295)
    8.43g
    19mm
    Kampmann/Ganschow 121.24, Dattari 6070 Emmett 4191.2

Also fairly scarce, Galerius. Another last to issue them.

[​IMG]
    Galerius (305 - 311 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Potin Tetradrachm
    O: GAL MAXIMIANOC K; Laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm. L - Γ across fields.
    Alexandria mint, AD 294/295
    22mm
    8.15g
    Emmett 4230(3)a, Dattari 6150

Scarce

Published on Wildwinds

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    TheRed, Deacon Ray, galba68 and 14 others like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my Nero + Serapis...

Type: Billon Tetradrachm, 25mm 12.73 grams

Obverse: NERW KLAY KAIS SEB GER, Radiate crowned head facing right.

Reverse: AVTO-KRA, Draped bust of Egyptian god Serapis facing right, wearing Kalathos (basket) on head, date LI (year 10)

Reference: Milne 222, Koln 160, RPC 5274, BMCGr 156: Sear 2001.

nerotet.jpg

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I really love the Neronian and Flavian tets from Egypt. Yours has nice portrait style on both. Here's one of mine of Titus with Serapis with write up.

Titustet.jpg
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-56466

Titus Tetradrachm

Silver tetradrachm

AYTOK TITOY KAIΣO YEΣΠAΣIANOY ΣEB
    laureate head of Titus right

ΣAPAΠIΣ
    bust of Serapis right, wearing taenia, modius on head ornamented with branches of laurel, date LB (year 2) right

Alexandria mint, 29 Aug 79 - 28 Aug 80 A.D
    12.254g, 25.4mm

Milne 456 - 457; Geissen 319; Dattari 426; cf. BMC Alexandria p. 34, 281 (year 3); Emmett 235

Ex-Forum

2011 Forum Best of Type winner

This is the Wildwinds example

Ptolemy Soter, wanting to integrate Egyptian religion with that of their Hellenic rulers, promoted worship of Serapis as a deity that would win the reverence of both groups alike. This was despite the curses of the Egyptian priests against the gods of previous foreign rulers (i.e Set who was lauded by the Hyksos). Alexander the Great had attempted to use Amun for this purpose, but Amum was more prominent in Upper Egypt, and not as popular in Lower Egypt, where the Greeks had stronger influence. The Greeks had little respect for animal-headed figures, and so an anthropomorphic statue was chosen as the idol, and proclaimed as the equivalent of the highly popular Apis. It was named Aser-hapi (i.e. Osiris-Apis), which became Serapis, and was said to be Osiris in full, rather than just his Ka (life force). Ptolemy's efforts were successful - in time Serapis was held by the Egyptians in the highest reverence above all other deities, and he was adored in Athens and other Greek cities.

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

This Aurelian tet was one of my secret Saturnalia gifts last year..

[​IMG]

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Another Sarapis bust, but a later one from A-Pi's reign. The decorative detail on the kalathos here differs from the OP coin; just a bunch of dots on this one.

Antoninus Pius - Gemini Lot A - 1 Sarapis Bust Dattari.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    Billon Tetradrachm. 12.57g, 23mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 10 = AD 146/7. Dattari-Savio pl. 115, 8247 (this coin); Emmett 1426.10; RPC Online 14265 (1 spec., this coin cited). O: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: L DEKATOV, draped bust of Sarapis wearing kalathos and taenia, right.
    Ex Robert L. Grover Collection of Roman-Egyptian Coinage, previously held by the Art Institute of Chicago (1981.507); ex Giovanni Dattari Collection

Jay GT4, TheRed, Deacon Ray and 8 others like this.
  9. ValiantKnight

Awesome coins everyone! Its great how affordable these tetradrachms are. This one is my 2nd one in two months :DAnd the syncretism of the Greek and Egyptian cultures seems like a fascinating subject! Has anyone here read any books about Roman Egypt, Greek/Ptolemaic Egypt, Serapis, or anything related that they would recommend?

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I spent 4 months traveling around Egypt a few years back and never found any Ptolemaic/Roman Egypt coins for sale even in the ancient capitol of Alexandria. I think the villagers and average Egyptians who find them these days sell them to out of country dealers - it may have something to do with antiquities laws in Egypt. Considering all of this it is surprising how apparently common they are.

11. ValiantKnight

Took a trip to the Serapeion in Alexandria yesterday :)

fullscreen.jpeg fullscreen (1).jpeg fullscreen (3).jpeg fullscreen (2).jpeg fullscreen (4).jpeg fullscreen (6).jpeg

12. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

I'm a bit late to the party, but here's something a bit different. Even though I've been expanding my collection of Alexandrian coins, the only depiction of Serapis I have is post-Diocletian, a follis of Constantine depicting Genius, wearing a turret, holding the head of Serapis (RIC VII Alexandria 4). Even after the regularization of the mint at Alexandria, they still did things their own way.

Constantine Alexandria.png

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Big fun @ValiantKnight ...

I only have a couple Serapis... here is one:

RI Didumenian and Macrinus 217-218 CE AE28 Markianopolis mint Serapis.jpg
    RI Didumenian and Macrinus 217-218 CE AE28 Markianopolis mint Serapis

TIF, Deacon Ray, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  14. ValiantKnight

More cool coins guys, thanks!

Awesome Serapis pose! Lately I've been looking at provincials from places like Marcianopolis, Hadrianopolis, etc. because of interesting reverses such as this.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted