Added two sceatta's - Series B and R

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Sep 20, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Nap, this is sounding a lot like the (very) relatively well-documented 'High Middle Ages' (c. 11th-(be charitable!) early 14th centuries). More to the point, anything relating to the Viking Age, England maybe last, but included. What's truly brilliant is the ongoing, but accelerating cooperation, at the academic level, between historians and archaeologists.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Thanks very much! I do have a few others. I can't say that I have yet made a study of each Series or a concerted effort to get different types. As someone on CoinTalk described it, I consider myself a "Magpie Collector" (i.e., bright and shiny objects).

Interesting thought on Series J. That is worth looking into. Just a quick foray into
    T&S shows that in the introduction to Series J, Metcalf states "Series J is also particularly plentiful (for an English series) in the Low Countries and one needs to formally consider whether all or part of it could be continental." He goes on to argue that the most likely explanation is extensive trade from York to the continent, but also points out "extremely deceptive" imitations that are likely of continental origin. The result seems to be that he believes that there was a lively trade of both original strikes and good quality imitations from Northumbria to the Rhine Mouth area and back.

Imitation Series C, a predecessor of the Series R.
    British Anglo-Saxon. Primary Sceattas. Circa AD 700-710. AR Sceatt (12mm, 1.17 g, 2h). Series C imitation(?). mint in Kent(?). Obv: [Radiate] head right; annulet and A to left, epa in Runic to right. Rev: Standard with degraded TOT II legend around; [crosses?] in margins. Ref: EMC 1986.8686 (same rev. die); Abramson 4.70; SCBI 63 (BM), –; SCBI 69 (Abramson), 93; cf. North 41; cf. SCBC 779. From the Ealing Collection. Reportedly found in South Humberside (not recorded in EMC). The cited EMC specimen shares an obverse die with SCBI 69 (Abramson) 93, linking the fine style bust of this coin with a remarkably crude bust. Ex CNG.
    zac.jpg

Series J
    British Anglo-Saxon. Secondary Sceattas. Circa AD 710-725. AR Sceat (11mm, 0.89g, 11h). Series J, type 85. Mint in Northumbria (probably. Eoforwic [York]). Obv: Large diademed head right within pelleted boarder. Rev: Outline of bird right on cross; quatrefoil to right; annulets flanking cross all within pelleted border. Ref: Abramson 18-19; SCBI 63 (BM), 474-7; North 126; SCBC 802; Mp345. Ex Mike Vosper.
    zzzz.jpg

Series G.
    Continental Sceattas. Circa AD 710/5-720. AR Sceatt (12mm, 1.21g). Series G, type 3a. Quentovic mint. Obv: Diademed head right; cross pommée before. Rev: Standard with central pellet-in-annulet, saltires in three angles, trefoil of pellets in one. Ref: Abramson 21.20; cf. EMC 8 Series G, 302-3 (for type); SCBC 800. Seller's note: This coin was found in the Lincolnshire/Yorkshire region of northern Britain.

zzzzz.jpg

+VGO.DVCKS and Bing like this.
  4. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Despite the fact that it was written more than 30 years ago, without the benefit of the body of data from the modern metal detecting era, much of what Metcalf said has proven to be completely spot on.

Really goes to show his skill as an academic. His work greatly advanced the field and remains relevant today.

Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Nap, may I second your motion? Especially concerning England, you run into the same phenomeon in both local, 'antiquarian' history, back to the 19th century, and academic history, back to people like Powicke in the early 20th. In both cases, I think, those people had an edge on a lot of the ones active now, just in their facility with the primary sources. A Classical education must've been one heck of a thing. But more broadly, responsible methodology has a certain timelessness; even where there are obvious (inter-)disciplinary 'holes,' the net result can transfer pretty seamlessly onto a more complete canvas.

Edessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted