Added two new denari

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

It's a bummer I've already posted my top 10 coins of 2019 ... Here are my two most recent acquisitions (also quite content with how the photo's turned out, hope you agree?):

I especially like the toning on this one, with some hints of purple, but clear lustre under the patina and a bold portrait of Commodus.
    Commodus.jpg
    ROMAN IMPERIAL, Commodus
    Denomination: AR denarius, minted: Rome, Italy; 192 AD
    Obv: L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL: Head of Commodus, laureate, right
    Rev: P M TR P XVII IMP VIII COS VII P P: Pietas, veiled, draped, standing left, extending right hand to child and holding transverse sceptre in left hand; in field, star (right)
    Weight: 2.96g; Ø:18mm
    Catalogue: RIC III 236
    Provenance: Ex DS ; acq.: 12-2019

Though the reverse is a minted with a bit of a worn die, the details of Luna are still discernible. Also, this goddess was not yet in my collection (and I have a weak spot for coins with a dynamic portrayal - in this case a chariot riding at full speed).
    Also: isn't Julia looking lovely and super feminine? You almost wonder how the wife of the die cutter looked like ...
    Julia Domna.jpg
    ROMAN IMPERIAL, Julia Domna
    Denomination: AR denarius, minted: Rome, Italy; 211-217 AD
    Obv: IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG: Bust of Julia Domna, hair elaborately waved in ridges and turned up low at the back, draped, right
    Rev: LVNA LVCIFERA: Luna (Diana?), with crescent on brow, mantle flying behind her, draped, standing left in biga
    Weight: 3.05g; Ø:19mm
    Catalogue: RIC IV 379 C
    Provenance: Ex DS ; acq.: 12-2019

I've got two questions:
    1) what's the meaning of the "L AEL AVREL" on the Commodus denarius?
    2) I haven't found that much information on Luna. Is there a comprehensive overview on this goddess?

Post the coins you deem relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice acquisitions for your collection! You should be proud of them.

1. In AD 191/2 Commodus took the name Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus. That's what L AEL AVREL is short for. Prior to that, he had the name Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus.

2. Luna is simply the Latin word for the moon. The reverse inscription means The moon, the bringer of light. Just as Apollo was identified with the sun, his twin sister Diana was identified with the moon. Luna is Diana in her role as moon goddess.

Here's an Aelius Aurelius Commodus sestertius from the final year of his reign:

Commodus Libertas Sestertius.jpg

and a LVNA LVCIFERA of Julia Domna for good measure:

Domna LVNA LVCIFERA denarius.jpg

4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice new additions, @Roerbakmix. Here’s another Commodus denarius with dark toning.

CD98FB08-95B8-4C4F-A91A-6E20EC353E86.jpeg
    Commodus, AR denarius (18.9 mm, 3.70 g). Rome mint, struck A.D. 184-185. COMM ANT AVG P BRIT, laureate head right / P M TR P X IMP VII COS IIII P P, ROM, Roma seated on cuirass left, holding Victory and cornucopia; arms on ground below. RIC 112. From the Porter Collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted