Added two 12mm silver coins - only ~1000 years apart

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, May 26, 2020.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

... and still, far from modern. The first one is my 10th sceatta (and to celebrate that, the 11th is coming my way already :))
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-V0bUxfcBjWO6bEeh.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXON, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Sceatta (Series D type 8), minted: Netherlands; 690-720
    Obv: Dotted standard, annulet with pellet in center, around three V and one I, dot between. Outside standard, a pellet and largely off-center garbled legend
    Rev: Runic inscription around cross-pommee, pellets around
    Weight: 1.18g; Ø:12mm. Catalogue: . Provenance: Possibly found in Northern France; acq.: 05-2020

In The Netherlands, where I'm from, there were two series of sceatta's: series D (including the types 2c, 8 [this coin] and the extremely rare 10 - I have the series D complete but, hey, as if a collection is ever 'complete' :angelic:) and series E (including many 'porcupine' types, the elegant plumed bird types, and the stepped-cross types). Other rarer types include the 'Wodan' types and the 'Star of David', among others, which I still have to acquire.

This series D type 8 is an upgrade of this poor example, which badly needed an upgrade:
    Runetype I.jpg

The second coin is a tad earlier, that is, almost 1000 years (if the date provided by the seller is correct):
    upload_2020-5-26_16-9-13.png
    GREECE, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Hemidrachm, minted: Rhodos, Carian isles ; 387-304 BC(?)
    Obv: Head of Helios 3/4th to the right
    Rev: Rose within incuse square, above Greek legend
    Weight: 0.8g; Ø:12mm. Catalogue: ?. Provenance: Ex T. Nuij collection; acq.: 05-2020

Now I was hoping for someone to weigh in on the Rhodos hemidrachm. I'm unable to 1) find a comparable specimen, 2) thus pinpoint the date and 3) read the Greek legend above. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, please post your sceatta's! They deserve more attention. Otherwise, post your coins from Rhodos.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've been eyeing affordable Sceattas when I have come across them but I end up pausing since I know I would get sucked into their rabbit hole & I already have other holes I burro in.

Those are very cool though.

ominus1 likes this.
  4. Roerbakmix

yeah, that happened to me :) Also, same for Celtic coinage. However, the series D and E are affordable, with cheap and rough specimens starting at ~€80. Most 'porcupines' in good condition, except for rarities, go for around €150-250.

5. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The layout of the Rhodes magistrates name resembles "Gorgias", but with sloppy engraving.

6. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Nice coins.
    I agree with @THCoins, it seems to be a crudly engraved hemidrachm from the magistrate "Gorgias". No other Magistrates name seem to match any more close than that one.

Your coin is definitely after 188 BC, since it has an incuse square, characteristic for the ‘Plinthophoric’ coinage.

This is an example of a similar coin (not mine):
    [​IMG]
    ISLANDS off CARIA. Rhodes. Circa 188-84 BC. AR Hemidrachm (13mm, 1.51 gm). Gorgias, magistrate. Struck circa 125-88 BC. Radiate head of Helios right / Rose, bud to right; [butterfly] in right field; GORGIA (magistrate). Jenkins Rhodian Group D, 150; cf. SNG Helsinki 657 (magistrate)

Alegandron, Volodya and Bing like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

One doesn't often find sceats and Rhodes in the same post! I'll play. :D (Though my sceatta are Anglo-Saxon.)

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.33.20 PM.jpg
    Anglo-Saxon primary phase sceat, series BII, c. 700, King Wihtred

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.33.08 PM.jpg
    Anglo-Saxon secondary phase sceat, series O type 40, c. 720-735, Thames Valley/Kingdom of Essex

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.33.43 PM.jpg
    Rhodes didrachm, 250-230 BCE, HGC 6: 1438

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.33.55 PM.jpg
    Rhodes tetradrachm (32.5mm), c. 205-190 BCE, engraved by Danaos, Price 2513

Alegandron, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  8. Roerbakmix

... and that's a shame ;)

Wonderful sceatta's, @Severus Alexander. Those 'true' Anglo-Saxons are still on my wish list. I'm currently eyeballing a series G sceat, which was a recent metal detecting find, which will then by my first non-continental sceatta.

Thanks @THCoins and@pavlos for the correct ID of my Rhodos hemidrachm!

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted