Added to the early dollar set...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, Mar 29, 2020.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I've been hunting for a draped bust, heraldic eagle dollar, to compliment my flowing hair and small eagle dollars, which both have enough wear to keep their grades at Fine. The heraldics are pretty common, and I considered buying one in VF, but after bidding on a couple with the look that I like, I realized I would have to really pay up. In the end, I decided on a lower grade that would fit in best with the other two coins.
    This example has exactly the look that I prefer in very old silver. Observers will note the scratch in the upper obverse, ancient and toned over, that extends lightly across the forehead. In the photos, it looks rather dire, but in hand is not at all obtrusive.
    Coins like this make me think about the people who handled them, the people who made them, and the turbulent times that did not consume them.
    1798 dollar obv.jpg 1798 dollar rev.jpg

DBDc80, CircCam, gronnh20 and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Beautiful original coin. I love it

CircCam and ksparrow like this.
  4. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

Awesome coin. I'd love to own one someday.

ksparrow likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nothing wrong with that!

ksparrow likes this.
  6. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Very nice indeed.

ksparrow likes this.
  7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

You don't get more original than that. Lovely!

ksparrow likes this.
  8. Zach98

Zach98 New Member

Gorgeous coin!

ksparrow likes this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Nice, wholesome look to it!

ksparrow likes this.
  10. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Very nice piece. Looks totally original

ksparrow likes this.
  11. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Very nice looking coin with a look that CircCam would appreciate.

I'm in the opposite position of you: I have the Heraldic Eagle shown below but am looking for attractive Flowing Hair and Small Eagle varieties in the VF25 to 30 range. I've looked at dozens but haven't found what I want at a price point that I'm willing to go for.

DSC_0431-tile.jpg

12. Darrell Tyler

Darrell Tyler New Member

That's a keeper!!

ksparrow likes this.
  13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Really nice looking dollar, Publius2. Thanks for posting the images. Looks like close 8, 4 berries / arc stars reverse. The only variety with 4 berries. Good luck with your search, patience is required!

14. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Outstanding coin. These are common but not so common with completely original surfaces. Well done!

15. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Without a doubt.
    Same boat here. The flowing hair half has been on my want list for a long time and again nice original surfaces and eye appeal in a mid grade without being moon money is really proving challenging with that type. The only one I really want is strictly original but has a $1000 premium over retail attached to it and I love it but don’t love shovels.

Draft saved Draft deleted