AD 69

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Aug 24, 2021.

1. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, I would say you did a great job...those are very attractive specimens! So how long did it take you (read: how much patience did you have)? :D;):singing:

lordmarcovan and Clavdivs like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

About 3 years of looking... but it sort of escalated quickly when a member here had both the Otho and Galba Provincials up for sale. He was willing to let me pay the agreed amount over a couple of installments - it was appreciated!

lordmarcovan and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

An amazing parade of coins of the year 69! I will try to post mine later on.

...but, I don't believe I have seen a sestertius of Vitellius yet?

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have no use for the idea of starting your collection with coins of rare emperors rather than more common ones but I do have a coin of each. Mine won't count in some circles since my two Otho's are a provincial tetradrachm of Antioch
    pb0125fp3470.jpg
    and a fourree denarius of improper style. I was told long ago that there were no fourrees of Otho. I have owned two and seen a half a dozen. This one is one of the finest examples of a foil style fourree with thick silver, significant core not involving the face and obvious seam where the foils overlapped obverse right.
    rb1180b01928lg.JPG
    I have no real idea of the accurate face of Otho but his Roman coins seem intent on showing a poorly styled wig. My other coin that seems appropriate is an early denarius of Vitellius with features rather more like Otho than those of Vitellius himself.
    rb1185bb2950.jpg

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Andres2 - I love the look of that Vitellius As!

6FF77880-F609-4693-801A-9EF6C453FF76.png

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

thanks, Rob, here's a side view:

P1140143Vitellius3,5mm thick.jpg

8. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Here are the four in denarii struck in Rome:

upload_2021-8-25_22-59-13.png
    upload_2021-8-25_23-1-8.png
    upload_2021-8-25_23-1-52.png
    upload_2021-8-25_23-4-34.png

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Carl Wilmont likes this.
  10. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Galba, Otho and Vitellius in bronze (37, 25 and 35 mm):
    1.png
    2.png
    .png

11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

See @Julius Germanicus post !

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

For fun, a fake Vespy!
    Vespasian AR Denarius Fake.JPG

13. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

This was true of coins from the Antioch mint also - I was
    pleased to find this one

upload_2021-8-27_6-55-56.png
    Galba Æ As of Antioch, Seleucis and Pieria. AD 68-69. IM SER SVL GAL [CA]E, laureate head right / Large S•C, • below; all within circular linear border within laurel wreath. McAlee 312d (same dies); RPC I 4314; BMC Galatia pg. 176, 203; Wruck 61.17.01g, 28mm, 2h.

14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Civil War, Galba, Otho, Vitellius and Vespasian in silver.

Civil War denarius 69 ad Bonus Eventus - OBV:REV - 2021.png Galba denarius wreath OBV:REV  2021.png Galba Denarius Roma Renasces - OBV:REV - 2021.png Otho denasius OBV:REV - 2021 .png Vitellius denarius CONCENSUS - OBV:REV - 2021 .png Vitellius Denarius Libertas - OBV:REV - 2021.png Vespasian denarius Judaea Capta OBV:REV - VGP !!.png

15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Sestertii: Galba, Vitellius and Vespasian

Galba Sestertius LIBERTAS - OBV:REV - 2021.png Galba sestertius Victoria OBV:Rev - 2021.png Galba sestertius wreath OBV:REV - 2021.png Vitellius Sestertius Concordia Seated - OBV:REV - 2021.png Vitellius sestertius PAX OBV:REV - 2021.png Vespasian sestertius SPQR  WALDECK Collection - OBV:REV - 2021.png Vespasian sestertius Victoria Palm Tree - OBV:REV - 2021.png

16. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Asse and Dupondii: Galba, Vitellius.

Galba As standards - 1 st example - OBV:REV - 2021 .png Galba As Standards - HERITAGE - OBV:REV - 2021.png Galba As Vestas Seated - OBV:REV - 2021.png Vitellius as concensus - OBV:REV - 2021.png Galba As Wreath-Obv - 1_opt.jpg Galba As Wreath-Rev - 1_opt.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted