Actual Error Coin - Just want basic Info

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DallasCoinsNThings, Aug 20, 2018.

1. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

As I'm no expert on Error Coins in the least, I thought I'd post one I just came upon. It is a 1980's Off-Center LMC. Looking on EBay, I don't see that these things sell very high. Is there any significance to this certain one, or anything else interesting about it?

I'd appreciate any help!

0820181320.jpg 0820181320a.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Nothing that should put it above others of that caliber. It's not that they aren't uncommon, it's that there are so many cents struck, that there are more errors than collectors of those errors create heavy competition for them.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I can't tell if it's a copper or zincoln planchet.
    would help identify the year a bit better.

but I'm thinking it's a Zincoln from the top left obverse of where the "edge" would be from the strike. Looks like the copper plating got stretched and broke. Which would make it 1982 and later.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It's just got some spotting (which makes me think it's a Zincoln). Should go cheap because of it. Real error.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Nice off-center.

7. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Thanks, everyone, for their Helpful Knowledge! I really didn't care what it was worth, more the rarity of it... which essentially, is NOT rare! LOL! I didn't figure it was, but still thought it was a cool example.

Thanks!!!

8. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's a copper-coated zinc cent.....

Ozzman likes this.
  9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Zincoln splatter. Neat

10. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

You can tell above what should be the rim over the word "IN" from the motto, there is a silver streak hugging the curve - a clear indication of a zinc planchet.

Complete four-digit dates sell for more, but it is nicely positioned at 3:00. Too bad it is stained but a neat find. And generally the higher the denomination, the fewer they produce, and the less of a chance to find an off center. Thus off center halves and dollars sell for much more in the same condition. Off center Eisenhowers far are off center like that (but in Mint State) are worth hundreds. Morgan and Peace dollars are thousands, with some up to 5 figures.

Draft saved Draft deleted