Acrylic frames - Cool or Camp?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by svessien, Feb 4, 2021.

?

Acrylic frames are:

1. Cool

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Camp

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I got two acrylic frames for coins that are too thick for quadrum capsules today.
    They are cheap, and they sure look cheap too. I’m undecided on them, but so far the functionality looks better than what @furryfrog02 has experienced. Maybe it’s better to have several coins in the frame, in order to stretch the acrylic more, creating more resistance, @furryfrog02 ?

I think it’s nice to have some coins on display, in order to ADMIRE THEM WHILE HAVING MY MORNING COFFEE, as a Vcoins dealer puts it. This is an important coin category, no doubt.

Here are the frames. I think I should find a better place for them, and perhaps build and outer frame in wood that (hopefully) may look better.

5BEB8262-A1D5-4BB8-AADA-52381237155A.jpeg
    C91117AF-44B0-445D-BFE5-1B407B37E8B2.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'm indifferent to it. I think maybe if you displayed it in an area with classical antiquity look to it, it would look much better.

And if you don't have one, make a small area for it.

It would be like me putting it next to my comic book action figures, so wrong.

Plus I think the black borders of the frame look better than the white.

NewStyleKing and Carl Wilmont like this.
  4. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

I have the individual film things you open up. I hope they are coin friendly. Small square box with film on both sides.

5. Mammothtooth

My Greek Helmet backdrop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That definitely looks better than what FFIVN's does. I will try adding another coin to it to see if it streches like you said. Thanks for the idea!
    Beautiful coins too!

Only a Poor Old Man and svessien like this.
  7. Mammothtooth

I like the frame I have individual ones for my Greek Pals

svessien likes this.
  8. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I think @NewStyleKing uses 2x2 frames like these in boxes?
    I’m not happy with the plastic frames or the current placing. I think I need to build a wooden frame to hang on the wall.

9. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

10. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Be careful. If they're cheap knockoffs chances are there are chemicals in the plastic
    that will destroy the lustre, toning and patina of your coins. I almost had it happen to one of my coins. Managed to save it just in time...

Mine was acrylic as well. Didn't like it. Acrylic and ancient coins make for bad aesthetics, I found.

My advice: find a V-coins dealer who likes to look at coins in wooden cabinet while enjoying a glass of wine;).

11. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I ordered these from Numisma in Oslo, which I know as a serious dealer.
    Still, I do agree. I’m not sure if this is a good solution.
    Wood isn’t necessarily a great solution either, as I’ve understood it. It’s not neutral.
    I find the Quadrum capsules from Lighthouse to be an excellent storage medium, but they are too tight for tets and sestertii.

12. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Nice helmet. What does it weigh?

13. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

They were my first choice of displaying my coins before I moved on to quickslabs. They are cool, but obviously there is a limited number of how many of those you can use before the house turns into a museum. I still use a couple as I display my trachys in them :happy:

lvn1.jpg

This is what my little corner that my collectibles are allowed looks like nowadays:

lvn2.jpg

BJBII, Limes, DonnaML and 10 others like this.
  14. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

What a pain to dust. Sure looks pretty though.

OutsiderSubtype likes this.
  15. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

I'm 100% with you that coins are best appreciated when on display. It's worth putting some time into.

I'm seriously considering buying a proper display cabinet. Make some miniature pedestals in differing heights, painted black or grey, spread them in small groups across the surface, combine them with a few artifacts; low-key lighting. Looks great in my head. (I hope reality doesn't disappoint. Although it has a general tendency to do just that...:)
    I'm wondering: is it important that a cabinet should be 100% air-tight to avoid blackened silver, lost toning and other problems?

Meanwhile, here's the view I wake up to these days: 20210204_185308[655].jpg : (the coins I regularly change):

16. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Great set-up! I like it. I’m not sure I like the potential environmental damage to the coins and antiques though...
    As for keeping it air-tight, my understanding is that the process of blackening, lost toning, etc. is slowed down considerably by keeping new oxygene (and other gases) out. That’s why I don’t use open trays myself.
    I’m in the market for an antique glass cabinet, though. Need to get IKEA out of my life.

Only a Poor Old Man and DonnaML like this.
  17. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

I have several and I like them IMG-20210118-WA0010.jpeg

18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i dig'em man...i've also given them as gifts :) arrowheads i've found 001.JPG

19. Mammothtooth

Heavy, about 7-8 pounds, got it at Greek fair in the 80s.
    Replica of course, but neat

20. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

I've come very close to buying a few of these but like @Jersey magic man I am worried about the dust.

21. Mammothtooth

CAA32229-17AC-4A4B-987D-9357154F241A.jpeg BB99363F-3DF4-484C-B6C1-A8439638B5C7.jpeg Here is my meager display, the three in the frame need to be better arranged

Draft saved Draft deleted