ACG Early Small Slab Types

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Paul, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Been collecting these for many years and I think I have enough to put in here for all to see and add any you might have. I have added a letter to the slab for identifying them easy.
    I have fourteen different ones to get in here. Each a different label, all the same size slab.
    Hope you enjoy looking them over, as I have collecting them. Nothing rare but just different then the top tier slabs.

A 1884 Indian obv.jpg A 1884 Indian rev.jpg
    B 1963 Lincoln obv.jpg B 1963 Lincoln rev.jpg
    C 1953-S Roosevelt obv.jpg C 1953-S Roosevelt rev.jpg
    D 1971-S Ike obv.jpg D 1971-S Ike rev.jpg
    E 1931-S Lincoln obv.jpg E 1931-S Lincoln rev.jpg

ddddd and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Paul

Next Five.
    F 1936-S Buffalo obv.jpg F 1936-S Buffalo rev.jpg G 2000-W Silver Eagle obv.jpg G 2000-W Silver Eagle rev.jpg H 1971-S Ike Dollar obv.jpg H 1971-S Ike Dollar rev.jpg I 1852 Large Cent obv.jpg I 1852 Large Cent rev.jpg J 1884-O Morgan obv.jpg J 1884-O Morgan rev.jpg

4. Robert Paul

and four more.
    K 1945-D WLH obv.jpg K 1945-D WLH rev.jpg
    L 1880-S Morgan obv.jpg L 1880-S Morgan rev.jpg
    M 1921 Morgan obv.jpg M 1921 Morgan rev.jpg
    N 1923-P Peace Dollar IGI obv.jpg N 1923-P Peace Dollar IGI rev.jpg
    This one 'N' is the same size slab and will fit in with the ACG slabs, and looks like the same slab in all respects.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Very nice. I especially like the the half point grades. (63.5)

ValpoBeginner and Robert Paul like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I can say I've learned something new today. Never heard of anyone using fractional grading before. ( I don't get out much, lol.) Very interesting.

Robert Paul likes this.
  9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Yea i didnt realize they put the half grades on the small size ACG. I forgot how much i like these. Heres mine-
    IMAG0748_1.jpg IMAG0767_1.jpg

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

You have many of the branch offices, nice! Here is a California one that you don't have yet:

IMG_8992.JPG
    IMG_8990.JPG

Robert Paul and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Nice, looks like a 64.5 to me though. :wideyed:

12. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I guess I should stop cracking these to put in my Dansco...

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Depends which ones you are referencing. The newer ACG holders are common enough that cracking them will make no difference. The early ones or special ones (like some of the California, West, Long Beach, etc) are another story. I wouldn't be cracking those unless the coins are worth significantly more than the holders.

Robert Paul likes this.
  14. Duke Kavanaugh

Well I still have 1. It's a 78 CC in MS65 and looks 65.. It's in the holder the 1950 Franklin is in.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

That holder is common. So crack if you like or keep as is, whatever works best for your collection.

If you had a holder like the ACG California that I posted or something like the last 7 that Robert Paul posted, then it would be another story.

16. Duke Kavanaugh

ok thanks for the knowledge.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Ok the catalog numbers from the book for these varieties are:

A ACG 23
    B New has the front of ACG 26 and back of ACG 23
    C ACG 20
    D ACG 16a
    E is either ACG 21 or 25 Are the letters ACG in the bottom right corner raised or flat?
    F ACG 26
    G Either 21 or 25 same question as on E
    H ACG 8
    I New it would fit in between 12 and 12.5
    J Not in book, in notes as 11.1
    K Not in book, in notes between 10 and 11
    L New would be just before ACG 12
    M ACG 13
    N This is an ACG shell but not an ACG slab. In the late 90's ACG was looking to expand their business and licensed their slab shells to a couple other companies. He would provide the shells and equipment for a fee and the other company could create their own grading service. This didn't last long because shells started being diverted to other companies that weren't paying fees to ACG. In 2002 ACG tried a different tack and created an encapsulation service. For a fee you could send coins to ACG and they would slab them in their shells under your company name at what ever grade you specified. They provided the encapsulation ONLY not authentication or grading was done by ACG. This slab is probably from a diverted shell. I have never seen this company before. If it had been a licensed company there probably would have been more of them and I would have seen them.

ACG was the first company to do grades between the 11 MS grades, this was around 1986. The hobby at the time ridiculed the idea because everyone knew that it was impossible to grade so precisely that you would be able to tell that a coin was better than one MS grade but not a good as the next one. (Someone needs to explain that to PCGS, NGC, and CAC.) ACG bowed to public opinion and the .5 grades quickly ceased. They would not be seen again until Compugrade in 1991.

tommyc03 and Robert Paul like this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

dddd

Do you mind if I copy your image of the Accgrade California slab. I have an image of a label but not an actual slab.

Robert Paul same question on the ones you have that I don't have images of.

ddddd and Robert Paul like this.
  19. Robert Paul

Thanks for all the info on ACG Slab history.
    The pictures posted here are available to you and all to use, please make a copy for your reference.
    If you want pictures without the letters on the slab please PM or email me and I will get those to you.
    I have 35 slabs for this size and now I can put them in some order. I have to get back to you on the raise letter question, as I have put them away. Since you pointed out these items I will get them out and check them over a little closer.
    I do have more I can post, and since you mention that Compugrade Slab, I have a sample slab and two more of them, graded MS-62, & MS-62.1.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    ddddd likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Go ahead and use the ACG California pictures. I would be honored!

By the way, do you plan to publish your slab book again?

Robert Paul likes this.
  21. Robert Paul

I have re-examined all of my slabs and looked for the raised ACG in the lower right corner and compared the shells. I now have 4 more types.
    A,B,E,& G have with or without the raised AGC. If 'without' there is no initials there at all.
    In the pictures here
    A - has the raised ACG
    B - has the raised ACG
    E - has the raised ACG
    G - is flat
    Also forgot to mention that
    D - has no raised AGC and not on the front label, and it is B/W label. The shell and label is reversed as compared to all the others. it needs to be flip long ways to stack up with the rest of the shells.
    I have 42 ACG small slabs. My notes were wrong before for 35 slabs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted