Acetone

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBoyBryan, Dec 6, 2016.

1. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

Did I read somewhere that the ANACS published a piece on acetone cleaning, suggesting that an acetone soak is a good precaution if there is any possibility a coin was exposed to soft plastic for any length of time?

And is it true that some coin pros routinely dip all TPG submissions in acetone as a precaution? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, does soaking, not rubbing anything on the coin, even a Q-tip, in acetone or MS-70 do anything to the luster or toning? from what I read, it actually brings the luster back if it was covered. Not sure about toning. BTW, I'm asking for only silver. I want to soak some silver eagles.
    Thanks in advance..

Amos 811 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I have soaked 1984 DDO cents, and other rare coins. I have also used a toothpick wet with acetone to dig at verdi, and other crud. Make sure its pure 100% acetone from HomeDepot or the likes.

4. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

And did the soaking you did do anything negative to the existing luster or toning?

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I use acetone all the time. Many times coins arrive in plastic flips or a zip lock bag and when I pull the coin out, it's sticky or doesn't feel right. You'd be surprised how much green can appear in the acetone at times.

Smojo likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Pure acetone cannot hard a coin as far as I know. Only the pure stuff from a hardware store though. I have seen a couple of coins damaged by an acetone soak, but those coins were artificially patinated, meaning the coin was messed with before the acetone dip, and acetone only exposed the forgery.

Very useful for light cleaning of coins.

imprezax06 and BadThad like this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Every raw coin I buy gets an acetone soak.

Every. Single. One.

I do not buy stuff with "crud" in the devices - dirt or accumulation that *any* liquid might dissolve and expose unpatinated surfaces - and if I did, I'd reconsider acetone in those cases.

Jaelus likes this.
  8. Defenderone

Defenderone Active Member

Acetone does not work in every case. I have used it on many coins and they have been soaked for weeks... precaution, not every metal reacts in the same manner. I don't use it on my most valued coins...patina is a whole different matter and some are best to leave them "as is" for value purposes.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There are a few people here who swear that acetone can damage copper coins, and others who swear that can only happen if the coins already had problems.

I don't think I've seen any serious claim that acetone is dangerous for silver, gold, or copper-nickel clad coins.

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I soak every raw coin I buy in acetone prior to TPG submission, with the exception of coins that have been clear coated by the mint (for those I use distilled water if needed). I use other chemicals and dips as well, as needed.

11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I can echo the comments. I've used acetone on several and many different types of coins and have not damaged one yet.

12. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

And the luster and toning is not effected?

13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Not had a problem with "luster", and while I have a few I'm not into the "toned" craze.
    And have not put a toned coin in accetone.

Although I may do some experimenting with a few raw not so atractive toners

14. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

okay, thx.

Smojo likes this.
  15. Jaelus

Acetone does not affect the luster or toning. It's not a dip; it just dissolves organic contaminants.

16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

...and be careful as many "organic contaminants" create a colorful and attractive film that hides defects.

Jaelus likes this.
  17. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

Excellent, good to know.

18. CoinBoyBryan

CoinBoyBryan Member

Agreed. So, basically don't use acetone if you have an already attractive coin that may have defects hidden, because the acetone will remove the stuff covering the defects.

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I suggest you search the forum for "acetone". There are many threads on the subject as it's been discussed in-depth MANY times here.

I always recommend rinsing any coins being submitted to a TPG with acetone. The main reason is to remove any recent, non-visible contamination that may affect the coin after being sealed....especially fingerprints.

20. Jaelus

You can't really tell in advance if the coin may have hidden defects that will be revealed by acetone. If acetone removes something from the coin, it's a contaminant. Do you really want coins with contaminants on them (read - likely doctored) that are concealing problems?

More of a concern is having a coin encapsulated that has contaminants on them that may damage the coin after it is slabbed such as finger oils or PVC residue. Once it's been slabbed, you have to crack the coin out if you see problems developing that need to be addressed, so it's better to use an acetone soak on all your coins before submission to be sure.

21. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

The main use of acetone is to get rid of the residue from storing coins in PVC flips. It is not a dip. It will remove the residue, but has no effect on the coin itself. It does not remove patina, toning or for that matter effect the coin in any manner whatsoever. I have used it to remove dirt and grime, but again, it works best with PVC residue and as far as any coin-silver, gold, copper, etc. it is inert and will not effect the metal. Now if the PVC residue or dirt and grime is hiding something on the coin or the coin has been doctored, it may expose what's under what you are removing.

After soaking in acetone, I give it a bath with distilled water and GENTLY dab it dry with a micro fiber cloth. If air dried it may leave water spots. The vapor from acetone is not toxic, but the liquid is extremely flammable, that's why the label will always say use in a well ventilated area away from any flame.

I know most of you know this, but for the newbies, if the flip is soft, it's PVC, do not store your coins in them. Safe flips are hard and stiff, they are safe for storage, but not as safe as capsules.

I just received my Morgan Dollar overstrike from Daniel Carr (it is absolutely Great) and, with gloved hands took it out of the flip and put it into a capsule even though he uses the non-PVC flips.

Draft saved Draft deleted