Accugrade Holders

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by FishyOne, Nov 27, 2011.

1. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

I have the opportunity to buy a large lot of Morgan/Peace dollars in old Accugrade photocert holders (see pic below).

I have purchased ASA-Accugrade holdered coins in the past but not this type of holder. These pieces (65 total) will be sent to me on approval.

Has anyone seen this type of holder before? Any knowledge on the grading codes? I'm told they're all graded MS64.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phdunay

phdunay Member

I'm not sure if their grades are completely reliable, but the slabs and coins look nice, I would like one to have if I could get it for a good price.

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

ACG coins are usually overgraded... But from time to time you can find a sleeper. If they are all priced as MS64s it's probably going to be too much. I'd figure them as graded at least 1 grade too high if you can't grade them yourself.

5. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

Thanks. They are asking Greysheet MS63 prices and since they're mostly common dates, that averages a little over $50/each.

I'll be examining them closely.

6. VNeal

VNeal Member

too high
    40$ tops

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To give you an idea of ACG's grading - that Morgan shouldn't even be in a slab. Not with that big scratch across the cheek. The coin is damaged, it is ungradeable.

The slabs themselves would probably hold more interest to slab collectors (those who collect the different varieties of slabs) than the coins ever would.

8. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

No matter how many times we clean the carpet that spot still comes back it seems. :(

Treat the coins as if they were raw is what I would do.

9. Owle

Owle Junior Member

There was a big controversy a while back with Professional Numismatic Guild trying to come down hard on Accugrade, I don't know what the result is now, but when lawyers get involved in a case like this they are the only ones that profit. The grading philosophy of Accugrade seems to be how high a grade can be given to a coin to make the customer happy? Personally I want objectivity not over-grading or grade inflation; it defeats the purpose of certification. Dealers are paying under $30 for non-BU dollars, up to $50 or so for BUs common. Realize that it is going to be hard to get your money out of those coins unless silver goes back over $40. My advice would be to go to a coin show and buy there, negotiate a fair deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted