According to law, you can counterfeit pennies.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Detecto92, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Anyone who manufactures a counterfeit U.S. coin in any denomination above five cents is subject to the same penalties as all other counterfeiters.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

good luck with that.

Endeavor and DUSITN HADDOCK like this.
  4. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Don't be your own lawyer Tim, the feds will win.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

:scratch:​

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Tim,

You really need to read:
    18 USC § 490

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin in the resemblance or similitude of any of the one-cent and 5-cent coins minted at the mints of the United States; or
    Whoever passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or brings into the United States, or possesses any such false, forged, or counterfeited coin, with intent to defraud any person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

DUSITN HADDOCK likes this.
  7. dingodonkey

dingodonkey Junior Member

Oh no, what did you do? Do we need to start a legal defense fund? ;-)

8. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I know the job markets tough, but stop counterfeiting before you get caught

9. Detecto92

They must of updated the law.

The purpose of this thread was...what if the Chinese start counterfeiting cents? Be kind of frivolous.

10. dingodonkey

dingodonkey Junior Member

The Chinese are way ahead of you on that one. They're even counterfeiting half cents!

11. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

North Korea has been counterfitting 100 bills for years now, they are proclaimed as super bills, and are sponsered by the state. Also, the US has no jurisdiction in China, even if it did, how would they prosecute the country they owe money to for counterfitting what is theres in the first place?

12. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

They must have updated the law. The word is have, not of. They must have updated the law.

I have news for you. The Chinese have been counterfeiting US Cents for years. I have seen Large Cents (and Half Cents), 1856 Flying Eagle Cents, 1877 Indian Head Cents, 1909-S Indian Head Cents as well as other Indian Head Cents, 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cents, 1914-D Lincoln Cents, 1922 No D Lincoln Cents, 1931-S Lincoln Cents, Copper 1943 Lincoln Cents, 1955 DDO Lincoln Cents and on and on. I have also seen the dies used to strike a number of these coins.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Yeaher, ok! That section has been on the books since June 25, 1948.

For you to spout off again lacking the knowledge needed to make intellectual posts.

Again!

14. George8789

George8789 Leaving CoinTalk for good

I took Detecto off my ignore list to read his posts.... you'd make a great comedian you have me laughing everyday with your "facts" Do you ever put in more than 10 seconds of research before being adamant about knowing what you talk about?

15. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Hobo this is an online forum not a college essay.

16. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well drill a hole in a penny and use as a washer. Cheaper than buying said washer. Or melt to use as cheap solder. :eek:

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but you are way too limiting. I saw one Chinese counterfeiter (before they were kicked off eBay) selling 1957 and 1957-D counterfeits (or copies, if you prefer) circulated Lincolns. I have no idea if anyone ever bought any.

18. Detecto92

It is by my understanding that the Chinese do get a LITTLE leeway because what they do counterfeit is passed off as an "antique imitation".

From what I have read, the Chinese do not counterfeit MODERN coinage. Things like Eisenhower dollars, JFK halves, etc.

19. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

No, typically you misunderstood what you were reading.

The statute you quoted imposes a lesser penalty for counterfeiting both one cent and five cent coins, while the one BUncirculated cited imposes a greater penalty for higher value coins. Basically the same concept as statutes penalizing petty theft by jail sentences and relatively minor fines, and grand theft by prison terms and larger fines.

20. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Heres a tip, what would come out of counterfeiting pennies, when most are worth atleast .777 of a cent, thats the zinc ones, the copper ones are at over 2 cents each, and then you have the chance they already outlawed that and you get arrested, fined, jailed, and its so inconvient to spend so much money on a penny mint, and labor and everything to make one penny. Counterfeiting pennys i this stupidest idea I ever heard.

21. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

He isn't implying a counterfeiter would counterfeit modern cents. If there were no law prohibiting somebody from producing small denomination coinage, a counterfeiter could make counterfeit rare dates which would could hurt the numismatic community. However, both are still very illegal.

Draft saved Draft deleted