Accidental Early Release PCGS Slab?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

No, Wells Fargo issued the box before they were supposed to. The guy sent two in for the 1st find bounty and PCGS refused to pay it. But they did slab the two with the label shown. He also kept one back and fedexed it to PCGS Monday morning as one of the six found.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes it will be just as your example would be as long as it can actually be proven that is the actual coin that was found early. If the chain gets broken and you can't prove which one it was it would lose the premium, but as long as it is slabbed the chain is intact

Randy Abercrombie and markr like this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

It depends on the collector. While many wouldn't care too much, I do see there being people that would find the story compelling enough to pay a premium. And it would only take two people to really like it in order for a crazy auction result.

I'll add that this is more interesting than the Gold Kennedy where the 1st sold example (at the ANA show) reportedly went for $100,000. That coin was simply the first from a pile to be sold (which to me is less exciting than an accidental early release).

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

PCGS is paying a reward for the first W quarters to be graded after release. These two were submitted BEFORE release date, and they did not pay the reward for them, which I think kind of sucks. But at least they are getting to sell them for a decent amount. Hey, people pay extra for early release, first strike, etc, which is silly. These were literally the first couple release and found though, which is neat. Worth a premium, sure, but not sure it's worth that much.

6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I guess the fact that I have one is not as valuable, or important, as the fact that yours is bigger than mine. One can say that I paid $2000 for mine and he can say 'but, I paid $100,000 for mine therefore it is much better'. Makes no sense to me.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you sign up at Great Collections, they send an email newsletter a couple of times a week with highlights in their upcoming auctions. Mostly, it's marketing, but there is sometimes some eye candy depending on what you're into.

I do recommend you register at Great Collections, though, because they have good auctions of good coins with low hammer fees.

8. Inspector43

Thanks. I will look at it.

9. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

All of my good commems have come from GC. I like them, but I have to really like a coin because CA sales tax and the bid increments end up pushing it out when factoring in 12% buyer fee and 8% tax.

Back to the topic:
    Early and didn't even grade that well. Not sure why it doesn't have a listing in their price guide, but looking at Memorial Park W, there are so far 182 MS-67. Surprised this one only got 65 unless the liberator goofed handling it or smuggling it.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You're not missing anything but whoever buys it is.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Once upon a Time you could prove something by mailing it to your lawyer & having a postmark. Lawyer with then write a letter certifying that the item is described had been in your possession on the postmark date.

The plastic tomb and label do the same thing.

I get all that... So what?

Is anybody really naive enough to think that all of the coins were struck after midnight on the release date packaged & trucked all over the country by 10am??? Of course not.

Many of us recall the stories around certain high-profile consumer products with hotly sought-after release dates and hundreds of thousands of pre-orders... and the packages lining the hallways of the FedEx Depot waiting to be released on the day.

So really all this confirms is this some bank teller went into the vault and grabbed the wrong box. Maybe it was the only box in the vault. And s/he was trying to serve a customer who wanted a box of quarters ....

Oh well crazy is as crazy does... if some idiot wants to pay $900 for a label saying the teller grabbed the wrong box... I'm torn between more power to them and it takes all kinds to make the world go around

12. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Everything is big in Texas!

baseball21 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. wxcoin

My Dad once told me I was an accident. If PCGS was around in 1955 he could have had me slabbed and sold for big money.

14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I totally heard that in Dangerfields voice..... No respect at all..... LOL

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Why wouldn't accidental/on purpose pre-release be considered like MD or PMD as this situation occurred after the coin left the mint? Jim

Burton Strauss III and wxcoin like this.
  16. wxcoin

I find all of these special labels by the TPGs amusing. From their business perspective I don't blame them one bit; there are many who find the slab more important than the coin. They could probably go further on their labeling. For example, for first release labels why don't they number, say, the first 100, starting with 1 and ending with 100. I'm sure there would be buyers who would pay a premium to have the entire set of 100. I think we all need to understand that slabbed coins has several different types of buyers; those who collect coins and those who collect the plastic and its label.

17. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Don't give them ideas! :rage:

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Me, either. But if I can sell something for 50x its value, and I'm not defrauding or misleading the buyer, that makes perfect sense to me...

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Because there's no damage to the coin...........................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I was told I was a medical cure for my mother. Lol

21. Inspector43

And all she needed was a back rub.

Draft saved Draft deleted