Accented hair hoard

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nick57, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Nick57

Nick57 Member

Four months ago I was at the LCS searching for the accented hair variety, they had quite a few 64 proof sets, probably 20 or so. But only two were open.

Looking in the first envelope, paydirt. Decent cameo too. Looking in the second envelope, another? What where the chances they were both fs-401? Another one... I was beyond happy to get a second set @ 20 dollars.

That's all the 64 proof sets I bought that day, got some other stuff and ran out of cash. Since that day I've been wondering what the chances were of a dcam hiding in one of unopened remaining sets.

Well yesterday I finally went back to find out. There were 18 sets. The envelopes were identical. They all were marked "5.75" in pencil in the upper left corner. The flaps were lightly bonded so I felt good about them being original. Time to go fishing or cut bait.

Well the price went up a buck per set so I settled on half the group. I bought 9 sets and went to my car to open them. When I opened the first set, I didn't see accented hair... But the second set was. So was the third set. I stopped and re-checked the first set. It was fs-401 after all... Are you kidding me? Are these all accented hair? Yes they were.

Needless to say I went back in and bought the other 9 sets for 21 dollars each... All 18 sets are accented hair. At least 4 sets are possible dcam. 2 more are borderline.

I'm already a member with NGC. But PCGS is where these are going. Would it be better to grade them all at once? Or just a few at a time? Any advice is welcomed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

wow, congrats

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would send the ones you think are CAM or DCAM to PCGS. All you need is for one to come back as DCAM to cover all your cost. Great find.

Paul M. and Stevearino like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Nick57

I'm with Larry. Send in the six and be sure to post your results with photos when you get them back, please.

Chris

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I for one would like to see pictures.

GenX Enthusiast and Stevearino like this.
  7. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

Excellent treasure hunt!

8. Nick57

Nick57 Member

9. Nick57

Nick57 Member

10. Nick57

Nick57 Member

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Nice cherry pick! That first one you pictured looks like at least a CAM, provided the reverse is there and the light isn’t tricking me.

12. Nick57

Nick57 Member

13. Nick57

Nick57 Member

Sorry about the rotation of the photos. I can't get the last 3 to load. Maybe later.

14. Nick57

Nick57 Member

15. Nick57

Nick57 Member

16. Nick57

Nick57 Member

17. Nick57

Nick57 Member

These sets are from the same collection without a doubt.

Some of the middle tier group went to NGC with a 4 week turn around.

One from the top group heading to PCGS and a EXPRESS timeline.

ldhair and wood_ster like this.
  18. Nick57

Nick57 Member

Got the results today from NGC.

PF 66
    PF 67*
    PF 68*
    PF 68*

Should know what the one that went to PCGS early next week.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted