About the new (2005+) nickels...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jeff Beatty, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Most VULNERABLE design EVER for a mass produced denomination!

I LOVE nickels more than almost any other coin. Roll searches can produce just about anything, you never know. Buffalos and even V nickels are still out there and people are somewhat unaware.

Then we have the most ultra-modern nickels....and I'm still "interested" because I've realized that the current design is hyper sensitive & ultra vulnerable to damage caused by routine circulation. This means when we roll search, we wouldn't be too smart in sweeping ALL current dates off the table. For example...if you are searching Nickels and you come across an AU50 nickel from 2009....you would be ignorant to sweep it away for two reasons. #1.) Nickels and Dimes from 2009 are low production & already hard to find. #2.) Any current designed nickel approaching mint state while in circulation is somewhat rare because these coins degrade faster than the speed of light.

I think the design of post 2005 nickels (Beginning with the 2005 westward journey nickels) is the most vulnerable design in several generations of U.S.A coinage. Mint State specimens are totally gorgeous...but the huge obverse fields and low reliefs cause this coin to show marks if you LOOK at it wrong. Any trace of handling is immediately evident with these nickels....and it is very, very difficult to find anything in circulation without heavy & obvious wear marks. Save your post 2005 "BU's" and especially the ones that look pristine. Despite the production numbers (600 million to 1.4 Billion per year) a pristine AU nickel from the modern era will be valuable soon because these coins go to hell quickly....in a heartbeat, they are scarred for life.

Does anyone else see this happening and know what I mean?? This coin is like a stick of butter on a hot summer day....lol. It's profoundly vulnerable.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In all, I hoarded 18,000+ of the 2004-2006 P&D bags and rolls. I remember the first bags of 2004-P & 2004-D nickels that I searched. They were so bad that they actually snagged my cotton gloves. The bags of the 2005 nickels didn't look as bad, but I stashed them right away into square tubes just the same. I was afraid to open the 2006 bags because I didn't want another disappointment. The bags are still in the original cardboard boxes that the Mint used for storage.

Chris

4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I honestly haven't really noticed but then again I haven't really cared. As you pointed out, the mintages were "600 million to 1.4 billion per year", except 2009. Therefore I can't see them being very valuable within my lifetime. Even the high grade ones. Maybe the 2009 nickels. But a lot of people have caught wind of their relatively low mintage (which is not really that low at 40+/- million) so those are being stashed in mint state by the rolls. So I don't know if they will ever be very valuable either. With that said I do keep 2009's I find.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted