??? about the 1922 d wheat cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Noah Finney, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

is the 1922 d wheat cent that is weak rare? Cuz I have one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Ya gotta' show us what you have Noah. No way to tell you anything without some photos, obverse and reverse. Straight from above and some close ups on this one.

Noah Finney and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

We would have to see photos. The 1922-D cent is renown for being poorly struck. In addition to that, 4 die pairs produced the "no D" cents. Three of those pairs (die pairs 1, 3, 4 also know as the "weak reverse") Produced the no D cents due to the mint mark being obscured by grease and other debris. As the debris got on the die it slowly began to occlude the mint mark. As it did, the mint mark began to fade away...these are the "weak D" cents. After enough time, the mint mark become totally obscured on the die and mint mark disappeared all together. These are the "No D - Weak Reverse" coins. To have a true "weak D" cent, you must be able to show that the coin came from one of those three die pairs and the D must be pretty faded.

Die pair 2 is believed to have been damaged due to a die clash and the reverse die replaced altogether. That is why it has a better struck reverse...the reverse die used was in better condition. The obverse die was repaired/reworked by a mint employee to salvage it for continued use but in the process the mint mark was removed. This die produced the "No D - Strong Reverse."

Noah Finney and tommyc03 like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Nice write up Camaro!

Noah Finney likes this.
  6. Noah Finney

ok I will get some pics.

7. Noah Finney

SDC19071.JPG SDC19070.JPG
    Ok here are the pics.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

There is a 'weak D' listed, it is a premium over the normal D.

Noah Finney likes this.
  9. CamaroDMD

Yes there is, but in order to qualify the coin must be from die pairs #1, 3, 4...the same dies that produced some of the "No D" coins. It doesn't look to me that this coin fits those characteristics. I will admit that this coin has significant wear on top of the poor strike and thus it is hard to see all the diagnostics...but I don't think this coin is from one of those die pairs. I'd be curious to see what others think.

tommyc03 and Noah Finney like this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'll have to pass on this one. With all the wear and damage visible I would not be able to tell, not even after I enlarge the photo.

Noah Finney likes this.
  11. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I can tell where the D is. It isnt die pair 1,3, or 4. So not a weak D

Noah Finney likes this.
  12. Evan8

Noah Finney likes this.
  13. CamaroDMD

I love that site. I thought the reverse MIGHT be a die #3...because of the O. But I don't think the obverse traits are present. But, it's so worn and corroded it's really hard to tell.

Evan8 likes this.
  14. Evan8

That is what I saw as well, but too worn to know for sure

CamaroDMD likes this.
  15. Noah Finney

I can see the d Perfectly.

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I have never heard of this variety being attributed to grease in the die, but almost always as a die clash that was polished, removing the mint mark from the die.

Where did you hear the grease-filled story, Camaro?

17. Noah Finney

Attached Files:

18. Evan8

From the O in ONE it shows the spread like what die pair 3 has. However, TRUST is worn, so i cant tell if it is sharper than the rest of the motto. It needs to be sharper to be die pair 3. It probably isnt. The second 2 in the date is gone, so good chance it was weaker than the first, also a sign of die pair 3. Is the reverse slighlty rotated counterclockwise? If so, it has a good chance at being die pair 3, but it is so worn that I cant confirm it for sure.

19. Noah Finney

No that's just how I took the picture. it not an error.

20. Evan8

No, im asking you, is the reverse rotated slightly from the obverse? That is one of the die diagnostics of die pair 3

21. CamaroDMD

I read that here some time ago. It states that Die #2 was a clash that was polished but basically described Dies #1, 3, 4 and glorified grease filled dies. It makes sense as to why we see gradually weakening D's from those dies as well.

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/1922Ddievarieties.html

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted