About Acetone baths

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Southernman189, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

You folks put out some great info. Especially the pointers on the right type of acetone from hardware store and NOT fingernail polish remover. Now MY question is, once you place the coin in acetone overnight would this be a "cleaned coin" for ever more? if you don't know, you ask. I am ASKING. Here is a "forever" cleaned coin of mine WIN_20210803_22_37_17_Pro.jpg WIN_20210803_22_38_15_Pro.jpg (not acetone that I know of) just an example of permanent tag of CLEANED.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

No. Acetone only removes organic foreign matter that may have accumulated on the surface of a coin. It doesn't alter the surface or interact chemically with the metal in the coin. Essentially no different than if you had a coin with some dirt on it and you rinsed it off with water.

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

It is possible for an improperly cleaned coin to straight grade if you give it enough circulation wear to remove the improperly cleaned surfaces, though obviously this lowers the state of preservation significantly. Acetone won't do it though. It is more likely that acetone would remove contaminants that were concealing an improper cleaning.

Keep in mind that the TPGs sometimes get it wrong. I've certainly had a few coins get details grades with cleaned, only to crack them out and send them back in and get straight grades. But these were coins where they obviously made a mistake (in my cases, they mistook die polish lines or excessive die deterioration for hairlines). So while those coins said they were improperly cleaned on the label, they were not actually improperly cleaned.

love old coins, tibor, MIGuy and 4 others like this.
  5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

As stated, acetone will not alter the coins original surface, so would not be deemed as cleaning. One note of caution, sometimes copper coins will change color after an acetone bath.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The best answer to your question, and the answer that removes ALL doubt, is extremely simple. The TPGs themselves will use any and or all - distilled water, acetone, xylene, and coin dip - on a coin and it will NOT be given the problem coin designation of "cleaned" on the slab.

And yes, as long as you do it properly, you can use any and or all of them yourself and the coin will not be given the problem coin designation of "cleaned" on the slab.

There is one caveat though. Sometimes, a coin can be properly cleaned with any of the four I mentioned above and be given the the problem coin designation. BUT - that only happens when whatever was being properly removed from the coin was covering up a harsh/improper cleaning that could not be seen until that whatever was removed.

In other words, the harsh/improper cleaning was already present and it was what harmed the coin. The distilled water, acetone, xylene, coin dip did NOT harm the coin.

And no, that is not an opinion - it is a fact !

7. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I don't recommend acetone bathing.
    It's horrible for your skin!;)

8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The logical answer is yes. It was cleaned. It may have not been designated as a cleaned coin. It may not have revealed any underlying issues after the cleaning. But, it is a cleaned coin.

It does not render the coin unacceptable to collectors. It is preference. It is "market acceptable".

But, it has been cleaned, for ever more.

Me? I assume the majority of coins have been enhanced in some manner by somebody by some process. I am much more cautious concerning coins that are (and this is just my own preference) less than 20 years old, and I have not personally received the coin(s) from the source of manufacture, with original packaging, and/or bought it myself on the secondary market after satisfying myself the original packaging has not been tampered with.

The reason for this personal 20 year cutoff is simple, to me. Any adversarial effects from a cleaning would be more visible in a piece, by then. Putty/tooling/sly doctoring etc. is part of that 20 year self imposed choice and evaluation.

wxcoin likes this.
  9. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

For me there are a couple ways to look at the question. Coins have been and will likely always see attempted cleaning at some point in they're life. Generally when collectors say "never clean a coin" it is a "general" term and is cautionary and good practice.
    Really it means don't improperly clean a coin else you risk damage and effecting its value.
    There are ways, several mentioned above, to "properly clean" a coin without harming it. It takes understanding and practice so if you choose to, proceed with caution.
    Consider the big TPG's offer restoration services and that process cleans the coin, but done in the proper way, without harming it. Still it's cleaning. To answer the root question, once cleaned, always cleaned. You can't undo it, once done. MHO.

LaCointessa and charley like this.
  10. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Quite true. Years ago, I bought a coin that had been whizzed among other things and was in a holder that prevented me from seeing that. No returns allowed, of course.
    So, I carried it as a pocket piece for several years until it wore down to a high-end VF and sold it at a great loss. At least nobody was going to be cheated by that coin any more.

11. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Still a very attractive coin!

12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I once read a article by a noted Numismatist. He stated, cleaned coins are going to be accepted in the future. More and more collectors want to see the true beauty of the original coin, rather than the obscure aged and tarnished alternative. Much like the cleaned ancients are accepted today. Hope I'm still here to see it happen, God willing! Enjoyed your post, thank you.

13. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

OK...got it...but how about the rinse, where it appears (both here and on others I've seen) that "water" spots remain, and either the acetone wasn't rinsed enough and/or the rinse water wasn't dried (blotted, air-blown, whatever) off. Would that be it/likely...?

Southernman189 and charley like this.
  14. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The reason for my self imposed moratorium/statute of 20 years.

15. Southernman189

that's an answer I like thank you.

16. Southernman189

makes ya smell funny too.

clembo likes this.
  17. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I experienced discoloration on a couple of bronze coins after using acetone, but never (so far) on copper, silver, or cupro-nickel.

expat likes this.
  18. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

I seem to recall @YankeeDime mentioning something in the errors forum about known reactions with acetone and copper if there is water (or high humidity?) present. There could be some discoloration or damage when those three are combined. I wonder if that's what you saw on the bronze coins?

expat likes this.
  19. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Bronze more than copper is true. Any high moisture level, on or near a copper coin when dipping it in acetone has been known to affect the color.

20. Southernman189

These coins of OURS are not really ours, they belong to the future much like our land we bought. when you and I die

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Why use water to rinse off acetone? If you use a high grade of acetone 99+% ( Lowe's gallon) or 100% ( Organic chem lab) let it evaporate while holding by edges. In real life situations acetone evaporates very fast. Letting water be the last substance ( and a metal object) will lead to spots and obvious marks and is not recommended. Remember acetone liquid and vapors are very flammable. IMO, Jim.

Draft saved Draft deleted