Abon coins busted (must read)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gunnovice09, Jul 23, 2014.

1. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

That said, after reading the article, I'm confused about whether they're knowingly fencing stuff, or whether they're just moving so much garbage that some stolen stuff slipped through. If it were just "another nice couple trying to make ends meet", maybe I'd be more concerned about a rush to judgement. Maybe I owe even Star Grading Service the benefit of the doubt -- but sorry, I'm fresh out.

Either way, it doesn't have much to do with the sins that have earned them our contempt. Nothing in there about "slabbing with intent to deceive".

mikenoodle likes this.
  4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

so... what exactly did they get busted for???

They were in possession of stolen property, but the way you titled the thread, you'd think that they got nailed for fraud. (something that many here would welcome)

-jeffB likes this.
  5. -jeffB

Wow, the comments on that article are pretty vicious. Sounds like they didn't make a lot of local friends, either.

Say, I wonder if this means there aren't going to be any more SGS slabs? Better buy all you can while there's still time!

6. -jeffB

:eek:

20140723-aboncom-epitaph.gif

That's... that's by far the biggest takedown I've seen yet on the 'Bay. Wow.

JPeace$ likes this.
  7. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

In this business... To end up with a stolen item occasionally is not unusual... I work with the police a couple times a year on cases like that. It's usually thieves who are really stupid... ( I have to take valid ID and a thumbprint). In my professional opinion, when you end up with THAT much stolen merchandise... It's one of 2 things... A really dumb owner... Or knowingly done for the easy cash. Being dumb isn't an excuse when it comes to the law... And the latter... Well no need to explain there.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  8. -jeffB

Kinda looks like eBay thought the same thing, emphatically enough to pull the plug on a 15-year seller with 200K+ feedback, and incredible FVF volume.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I want to know how they have 100% positive feedback

40_mila_kokkina and KoinJester like this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's easy to keep customers happy when selling Nicorette and other easily "concealable" items cheaper than WallyWorld. Lots of sick and bummed out people in Ohio tonight....

LostDutchman likes this.
  11. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

they kinda force peoped to leave 100% positive feed back or they band you / block you......stolen property is illegal

40_mila_kokkina likes this.
  12. kaosleeroy108

left a bad review after a coin that I received from them turned out to be cleaned..... I was mad... they blocked me..

13. kaosleeroy108

they where not good graders they where off some time and would give blanket grades to coins..

14. kaosleeroy108

needless to say if you purchased from them you have a 85% chance of receiving stolen property

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed!

16. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Did I read that article correctly? They actually *wrote* to various police departments asking for lists of stolen merchandise so they could "watch for them"?

*That* is beyond bold. Bordering on stupid, yes.

17. onecenter

onecenter Member

I remember when this company was mentioned on Coin Talk some time ago and found their eBay lots a bit strange. Self-certified, if I remember correctly, in slabs that looked somewhat like PCGS or NGC styles. I only have two slabbed USA 1994D prooflike commemorative coins from NGC. Never bought anything from these folks, and apparently that was a smart decision to just pass.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You talkin' about these guys?

Capture.PNG

Any truth behind April 10, 2007? devil.gif

19. -jeffB

They're the ones. The Abon.com guy has protested that SGS is entirely independent of Abon.com, but given that SGS's Web site is registered under the same mailing address as Abon, I suspect that SGS too will be facing challenges in the wake of this news.

Edit: that was old information. It looks like they've updated the registrar information for stargrading.org. Now, stargrading.org is registered to David Sparks, and abon.com is registered to Eric Sparks. I'm sure that similarity in names, and their geographical proximity, are purely coincidental. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Read between the lines on that Green. I'm sure the top 5-8 TPG's were "invited" to submit a proposal. It's like a companies purchasing department getting 5 competitive bids just to sanitize the bid of the supplier they really want. I'll bet it meant absolutely nothing at the time and they weasel worded it for the ad.

21. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I am glad they are gone from ebay.

Draft saved Draft deleted