Abnormal quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by walktheline91, May 11, 2017.

1. walktheline91

walktheline91 New Member

Hello, I was wondering aboit how much a quarter like this is worth. It looks like it was mis-stamped or something. Post 1965 since it isn't silver. Thanks!

Attached Files:

SavageFountain likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm not an expert on CUD, but sure looks like a butt load of CUD to me. Great find and welcome to CT. I couldn't tell you what it's worth, but hang on and someone here will for sure get you an answer.

4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I thought cud as well, but the strike on the reverse makes me wonder?

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

excellent, and yes, it is a cud.

rev:
    weak area opposite a large cud is normal.
    The one thru UNITED could be the start of a large die crack that hasn't turned into a cud, where the die piece falls off.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Pretty funky lookin coin, I wonder on the rev above PLURBUS is a strike thru? The upper left side of the rev looks like lamination? Bad Planchet? Very cool!

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is a nice example of a cud on the obverse, but I would like to see a better close-up of the reverse between 9 & 12 o'clock.

Chris

PS. Silver quarters ended in 1964, not 1965.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Every day we get several people starting threads with obviously manipulated or damaged coins, and they're sure they're mint errors.

This isn't one of those threads. :)

Cool find, and welcome to CoinTalk!

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@walktheline91
    Marvelous Die Break! CUD for sure!
    $20.00 - $30.00 IMHO :woot:

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

cool cud find. :cat:

11. walktheline91

walktheline91 New Member

Sorry for the crappy quality photos from my phone. And my bad, thanks Chris :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

WOW!
    That reverse is a beauty!

13. walktheline91

walktheline91 New Member

Thanks for all the responses and welcoming to this wonderful community :)

I have been collecting coins since I was a child and am now almost 26 years old. My boyfriend is also a collector, and we enjoy metal detecting as well. So I should be posting here often with some of our coin finds :D

I also have a blank planchette that should have been a dime. It's post 1964 (brown line around edge) so I don't believe it is worth much. But maybe yall would like to see it I will post a picture

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Kentucky likes this.
  14. walktheline91

walktheline91 New Member

Attached Files:

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Your quarter is special. I sold one from the same run of coins several years ago, although it was a choice BU coin.

Your coin has a cud on the obverse and a retained cud on the reverse. A retained cud is also a full break of the die, but the broken piece was retained in the collar instead of falling away, and continued to impart the design on subsequent coins struck in that press.

16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Nice find!!! Where did you acquire this beauty? I love the cud on the obverse and the retained cud on the reverse. I'm guessing a double sided cud has to be pretty rare.

17. walktheline91

walktheline91 New Member

I believe my grandaddy may have found it years ago in the cash register at the store he ran. It was in a bag of coins that belonged to him that I was going through today.

18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Even better!! The back story on it makes it even more fantastic. I'd probably get it slabbed with the error and possibly add "Grandaddy's Quarter" to the label. It's one I bet your not going to sell.

19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice cud in the OP!

Draft saved Draft deleted