ABNC Transfer Die

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by USS656, Mar 13, 2010.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I am going to find out what Mike is willing to do for me. I will be happy with what ever I get but I certainly have hopes of getting a number of prints and if I get really lucky maybe in two different colors. We will see, beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

Hi Chris

I will PM the original group when I know more.

best regards

Darryl

krispy likes this.
  4. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Printing from a roller would be a little difficult. A roller is made by rolling soft steel over the master die; thus the impression on the roller is raised, not incuse, as on the master die. The roller is then hardened, and can make incuse impressions on soft steel working dies, which are then hardened to be used in the actual printing process. You probably could print from the roller, but it would be a letter-press type image, not an engraved image. If you are suggesting that the roller be used to make a working die to print the image, that probably would be pretty expensive.

5. USS656

See the posts on page 4.

6. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Harry, good to see you on this forum! You should scroll through the Souvenir cards thread, there is a lot of material there you'll be interested in.

Greg

7. USS656

5 years later and well worth the wait! :D As far as I know it has been a long time since this image was printed. Mike Bean was gracious enough to agree to take on the job of using my transfer die to create a printing plate. He was also very gracious to run a very small number of prints from it. I am really wowed by the end result and cannot wait to get the plate and an image mounted together in my office. Hope you like the end result as much as I do. I added a watermark but left the image in high resolution so that you can see the detail. I am super stoked and this is now a really special part of my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Wow! Very nice!

USS656 likes this.
  9. krispy

krispy krispy

Fantastic results! Congrats! Glad to see you could follow this project through.

USS656 likes this.
  10. gsalexan

I just thought I'd point out Lot #1055 in the current Archives International auction. Very nice piece, though a bit pricey.

34439942_1.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  11. USS656

Thank you, one of the few I have seen with the entire image. Did you see the thread on the ABC die in paper money? I do not think it was from the ABNC or that it was a transfer die. I think it was used to directly print the image. please let me know what you think. I can now provide better images if necessary.

12. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

make a print from what you get. scan that print and search on google images. Quickest way I can think of to find it.

13. gsalexan

Guess it's time to re-up my lapsed membership for SPMC...

14. USS656

midas1 and James Shields like this.
  15. USS656

1 more reason to love Coin Talk! I reached out to Archive International about this vignette and here is the replay I received from Dr. Schwartz. "Thanks for the inquiry. The vignette you are speaking about is very rare. It is a Homer Lee design and I have only seen it on this certificate. How many others have you seen with the exact vignette?" That specimen sold for $280, no way I could go after this currently.

We as a team have identified at least 5 other stocks this vignette was used on. :D Thank you to those that have helped along the way and those that might help in the future!

gsalexan likes this.
  16. gsalexan

Another hit, in another AI auction. This bond specimen also shows the full vignette. It's Lot #700 in Sale 56. I'm not sure it is as rare as Bob Schwartz thinks. ;-)

Orangebelt Rwy bond speciment.jpg

USS656 and midas1 like this.
  17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Very cool. The last sentence at the bottom spells out the date, The First Day of January, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Eighty Seven.

Back in 1887, a $1,000 was a lot of money. Very cool !

USS656 likes this.
  18. gsalexan

Here's one more usage on a mighty big specimen bond from the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad. This one is up for bid in the next Archives Intl. auction, but you better have deep pockets!

[​IMG]

USS656 and midas1 like this.
  19. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Beautiful bond. When it comes to archives int'l I take nancy reagan's advice and just say "NO." Archives Int'l Auctions are God's way of telling me I've got too much cash. I just say NO!

USS656 likes this.
  20. gsalexan

:smuggrin: I've taken to collecting their catalogs, which is far more affordable.

midas1 and USS656 like this.
  21. USS656

love the stock, thanks for sharing, would have to be crazy or rich to pay that price and I am neither.

Draft saved Draft deleted