Featured Abercromby In Egypt

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, May 10, 2020.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I recently added another historical medal to my collection. When making additions I have some vague (only make sense to me) requirements. The most important is eye appeal, followed closely by historical importance.

The obverse of this medal certainly didn’t catch my attention. The name Abercromby didn’t ring any bells and the portrait is, well, just another dead guy. The classical look of the reverse is what caught my attention. The horse is beautifully done but having the Egyptian pyramids in the background sealed the deal. I immediately decided I had to have one and after a quick search of all the available ones online ended up back at the first one I saw.

After a bit of research, I realized it ticked off both requirements.

BHM504 03.jpg

Sellers Description:

1801 Great Britain, British Army Arrives in Egypt, AE Medal, Mudie's National Series, Mudie-8, BHM-504, By Webb, Plain Edge. Deep toned brown bronze in color with some underlying surface reflectivity, couple small rim tics. Mudie's National Series of British Medals, published in 1820 by James Mudie and struck by Sir Edward Thomason's Manufactory in Birmingham consists of 40 different medals commemorating British military and Navy victories. The series is both important in history and design and was dedicated to George the Fourth.

Obverse: Uniformed bust facing slightly left
    Reverse: Horse right before the Great Pyramids

Size: 41 mm

Sir Ralph Abercromby (7 October 1734 – 28 March 1801) was a Scottish soldier and politician. He twice served as MP for Clackmannanshire rose to the rank of lieutenant-general in the British Army was appointed Governor of Trinidad, served as Commander-in-Chief, Ireland, and was noted for his services during the French Revolutionary Wars.

In 1800 Abercromby commanded the expedition to the Mediterranean. After some brilliant operations defeated the French in the Battle of Alexandria, 21 March 1801. During the action, he was struck by a musket-ball in the thigh. It was not until the battle was won and he saw the enemy retreating did he show any sign of pain. He was removed from the field in a hammock, cheered by the blessings of the soldiers as he passed, and conveyed on board the flag-ship HMS Foudroyant which was moored in the harbor. The ball could not be extracted; mortification ensued, and seven days later, on 28 March 1801, he died.

Death_of_Gen_Sir_Ralph_Abercrombie_by_Sir_Robert_Ker_Porter_(detail).jpg

Abercromby's old friend and commander, the Duke of York, paid tribute to Abercromby's memory in general orders: "His steady observance of discipline, his ever-watchful attention to the health and wants of his troops, the persevering and unconquerable spirit which marked his military career, the splendor of his actions in the field and the heroism of his death, are worthy the imitation of all who desire, like him, a life of heroism and a death of glory."

He was buried on St John's Bastion within Fort Saint Elmo in Valletta, Malta. The British military renamed it Abercrombie's Bastion in his honor. The adjacent curtain wall linking this bastion to the fortifications of Valletta, originally called Santa Ubaldesca Curtain, was also renamed Abercromby's Curtain.

Malta_-_Valletta_-_Triq_il-Lanca_-_Fort_Saint_Elmo_(MSTHC)_02_ies.jpg

In general, the Mudie series of medals is not scarce however the price range for individual pieces has a wide range of prices. Certain pieces command higher prices based on the subject matter. Of course, the condition has a large effect on pricing. Occasionally full sets become available to purchase but that is far outside this collectors pricing comfort level. The set is not mine.

Mudieset.jpg

Sources:

cngcoins.com
    wikipedia
    historicalmedals.com

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Love the medal you selected. Ticks all the right boxes for me too, but the background story leaves me puzzled. I appeal to the Doctors within CT to educate me (us), as to why the projectile was not removable? They could have, at the least, amputated his leg.

Chris B likes this.
  4. Chris B

Yeah, that's beyond my knowledge. There must have been some sort of complication. Maybe embedded in the bone? I looked for a reason as well and came up with nothing.

Seattlite86 and Robert Ransom like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Chop off the leg. It seemed to be the "Standard" in days of yore when faced with this issue. They, obviously, knew infection would claim his life.

6. Chris B

Well, this is one of those where I wish that I had stopped with the information I had. @Robert Ransom I did a little more digging. Another account of the battle described his injury as "a musket-ball to the groin". Man, I'm feeling a little nauseous. :vomit:

7. Robert Ransom

I like the post update, but not the outcome.:yuck:

Randy Abercrombie and Chris B like this.
  8. DJsMom

DJsMom Penny Lame

Robert Ransom likes this.
  9. DJsMom

DJsMom Penny Lame

Besides feeling a little nauseous, probably not feeling not much in the mood for love... lol.

Robert Ransom and Chris B like this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

What a beautiful and unique medal. Thanks for sharing its history!

Robert Ransom and Chris B like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I wonder if @Randy Abercrombie saw this. (Different surname spelling, but hey...) ;)

Nice writeup.

12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for the call out, LordM. I had missed this. Great write up. I could have done without the culmination of the story though!

Draft saved Draft deleted