A wild rarity appeared!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Mar 1, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Was bored so I browsed for any cheapo but cool coins I could pick up. Scored this Hilderic cross-potent coin misidentified as a different ruler. Wasn't expecting to expand my Vandal sub-collection again so soon after my siliqua :D. Like I said I was in cheapo mode and the coin was misattributed so I got this for a very good price!

(seller's photos)
    [​IMG]

Hilderic, Vandal Kingdom
    AE nummus
    Obv: HILD [REX], pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Cross potent within wreath, ring above
    Mint: Carthage (struck 523-530 AD)
    Ref: BMC Vandals 9

Copy+paste historical background from my other Hilderic thread:

Hilderic ruled as King of the Vandals and Alans, who controlled a post-Roman Germanic realm in North Africa with the capital at Carthage. He was the grandson of the famed Gaiseric, and son of Huneric, and Eudocia, the daughter of Western Roman emperor Valentinian III, meaning Hilderic was of Roman descent in addition to being Vandal.

He ascended the throne in 523 when he was in his 50s or 60s, and his reign is marked by improved relations with his Catholic Christian Roman subjects (Hilderic and the Vandal nobility were Arian Christians) and by extension the Eastern Roman Empire and its ruler Justinian, who was a very good friend of Hilderic.

After becoming king, Hilderic converted to Catholic Christianity, the same religion as his mother, and soon other members of the Vandal nobility converted as well. Other nobles were not pleased by this, however, and soon a coup occurred, led by Hilderic's cousin, Gelimer. Hilderic and his family were imprisoned. Emperor Justinian did not take kindly to what Gelimer had done, and after unsuccessfully negotiating for Hilderic's restoration, sent his forces to invade the Vandal Kingdom. Unfortunately Justinian was too late to save Hilderic, who was executed by Gelimer in 533, but his invasion of the Vandal Kingdom was successful and, as a result, for the first time in a century Roman rule was returned to Carthage and the rest of North Africa.

Here is my only other example of this type:

[​IMG]

vlaha, HoosierDaddy, TIF and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Good for you VK.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Bravo, nice pick!

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

You've got coin-eyes like a sniper!! (sweet score, Jango)

behind the back shot.jpg

Nuthin' to it, eh? ... yup, you could probably pick-off those Vandal-coins with your eyes closed, or perhaps even behind your back!?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

VK-- it sure is fun watching you use your hard-earned knowledge! Excellent cherrypicking, my friend :)

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice catch VK! I also came across an unattributed rarity last night, a Tyrian civic issue in a state of preservation that I had never seen. Unfortunately, a reasonably high bid did not win it for me. Someone with deeper pockets also recognized it for what it was. Congratulations on a nice cherry-pick!

8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words coin-friends!

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted