A whole new category for me

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by icerain, Jan 13, 2015.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

So in my exploration of ancient coins and regions I have slowly diverted to other regions. Always on the lookout for something new, my eyes stopped when I recognized a coin that many have bought already and it was one I didn't have. Feeling so left out I just had to have it. :D

[​IMG]
    Nabatean, Aretas IV with Queen Shuqailat
    9 BC - 40 AD (struck 39-40 AD)
    AE19 , 4.3g
    O: Bust of king and queen right
    R: Two cornucopia. Aramaic legend
    Sear 5699

The bad part is, every time I buy a coin from a new region I don't have. I always look to get more coins from that area.

TIF, Okidoki, randygeki and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice choice! This variety from this ruler often seems to be better struck than many other Nabataens.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

John Anthony got to you, huh? :D

Nice choice!

Okidoki and Endeavor like this.
  5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Great coin. I am always glad when someone tries to collect something new. Wait till JA sees this, he will probably be able to tell you the name of the King's dog.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Fido?

It's funny how that happens where you sometimes feel left out about not owning a coin that everyone seems to have. Especially when there is a thread about the coin and everyone is posting their photos of the coin. This just gave me an idea for a thread.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Abdul Abulbul Amir

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

now that's a nice nabatean. man, i said i'd get one this year...that's the type i want, that style and condition.

you mean, the good part i think. :woot:

Ancientnoob, TIF and Endeavor like this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice coin. These are the most common of Nabataean issues and can be found in reasonably acceptable grades. You'll notice some letters on the obverse. The letter shin is in front of the Queen, for Shuqailat, and the letter heth behind the king, for Haratat (Aretas). They're quite worn on your coin, but there are also letters above the queen's head, shin-lamedh-mem, indicating the denomination half. Finding these letters is tough - here's an example from my collection...

aretas iv slm 500.jpg

The inscription on the reverse is the name of the king and queen. Nabataean is read from right to left. The top line is heth-resh-taw-taw (Haratat), and the queen's name is broken into two lines: shin-kaph-yodh between the cornucopias, lamedh-taw underneath (Shaqilat).

I've been working on a website dedicated to Nabataean numismatics. You can find it here. I've just started this project, however, and have not gotten to these issues yet.

Okidoki, randygeki, icerain and 4 others like this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Of Aretas IV, I have a much larger collection of the minute bronzes (1/4 denominations) because they come in so many varieties. Here's a handful...

minutes2500.jpg

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, icerain ... that's a beauty!!

=> man, you may actually get me interested in Naboteneeses coins!!?

:woot:

... oh, and yours are sweet too, JA!!

icerain likes this.
  12. askea

askea Active Member

This is a variation of Icerain's coin. The letters shin-lamedh-mem above the queens head occur in monogram. Meshorer's monogram, 9

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

13. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thanks, bookmarked your site and I will definitely be looking for more varieties.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

JA's Nabataean enthusiasm prompted me to buy a small assortment last year. Here's one of Aretas IV and Queen Shuqailat.

Nabataea-AretasIV-Shuqailat_edited-1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted