A web page for beginners

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Dec 5, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

For over twenty years I have had a web page for beginners "Ancient Roman and Greek coins, FAQ. Answers to frequently asked questions":

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/index.html

Today I revised the first page so that the top shows two famous Greek coins and then three important Roman emperors. I hope I have made it more attractive to anyone who finds that page.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I had to reduce the screen size to 67% to see all the horizontal images. No big deal (and maybe it is just mt laptop) but I thought you would like to know. Nice site!

4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Very interesting & enjoyable, as always, well worth reading.

I tried both my phone and my laptop. Looks great, enlargements load well. On my laptop, I noticed the horizontal columns (about 2mm of the campgate was off-screen, but hitting my right arrow key once did the trick).

I've gone through pp. 2 & 3 & the "Common" pages (which must've also had updates in the past year or so). I've been reading books & websites about ancient coins online and in print, off-and-on, for >75% of my life and still feel like I learn something new every time I read one these pages carefully.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Great reference, thanks.
    My interest is in cleaning and identifying ancients. I have been successful about 200 times. I have one listed in Wildwinds. It keeps me busy and is great fun.

6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

There is always the question of how wide to make tables and images. I made the tables 1100 or 1200 pixels wide and the main coin images 800 or less (although the enlargements are wider), thinking most screens were 1200 pixels wide or more. For me (on a Mac), two of the most important computer commands are
    command +
    and
    command -
    which enlarge or reduce the sizes of the text and images on the screen. I find thumbnails often too small to decipher so a quick
    command +
    or two makes them big enough to see. Conversely, if an image is too wide for my screen, a quick
    command -
    or two makes it fit.
    I'm sure there are similar commands for non-Mac devices. @Jersey magic man , what works like that for you?

With my old eyes I like larger fonts than I used to.
    command +
    is wonderful for that!

Curtis likes this.
  7. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I just hold down the Ctrl key and scroll with the mouse wheel until I get a larger or smaller image. I have no complaints about how you do the web page, just was alerting you in case you did not know.

Draft saved Draft deleted