A waste of a man......

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, May 23, 2016.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Flavius Arcadius Augustus was born to Flavius Theodosius and Aelia Flaccilla in the province of Hispania circa 377 CE.
    Theodosius I raised him to the rank of Augustus in 383 in response to the usurpation and execution of Gratian by yours truly<Magnus Maximus.:D
    Arcadius really didn't do much then as he is rarely mentioned during the 380's by historians. Not much will change for the young lad in the future.

When Theodosius finally kicked the bucket in 395 CE he left the Empire in a sorry state; the tattered West was to be governed by the incompetent Honorius, who was ten at the time. While the East was to be governed by the inexpeirenced eighteen year old Arcadius. It would appear that Theodosius I gave very little though to educating his oldest son in governance and law. Thus when Arcadius became Emperor he was immediately overshadowed by a cabal of ministers. In a scene that looked like it came straight out of House of Cards, the court of Arcadius was exceptionally corrupt, ineffective, and violent.
    In one particular incident the Emperor and a gothic general were inspecting the army in Constantinople when a contingent of soldiers walked up to the goth and hacked him to death in plain sight of the Emperor.
    After a series of corrupt ministers in the 390's, the Emperor's sister seems to have taken the reigns of power and was running the day to day activities in the Empire. She ran the Empire decently until her death in 404. Afterwards the Magister Militium Anthemius ran the government smoothy for the remainder of Arcadius's life. Side note, it was Anthems who supervised and ordered the construction of the Theodosian walls that still stand around Constantinople to this day. So he is indirectly and directly responsible for the survival of the Roman Empire into the "byzantine" age.

As for Arcadius, well he was a sorry excuse for an Emperor only matched by his brother in ineptitude and stupidity.
    Unlike most Late Roman Emperor's we actually do have a physical description of what Arcadius looked like: "The emperor was supposedly short, thin and dark-complected. A more kindly correspondent described him as good-natured and temperate."

Here is a soon to be acquired Siliqua of Arcadius struck under his brother from 395-402 CE at Trier.
    unnamed-4.jpg unnamed-5.jpg
    Silver, 1.75 grams, 18.08 mm. Trier. 395-402 AD. Obverse: DN ARCADI-VS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: VRBS-ROMA, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and inverted spear. Mintmark TRPS in exergue. RIC IX Trier 95c; RSC 25

I would like to return to coin talk, if you guys would have me that is.
    Love you guys, even though you drive me up a fV#$*^& wall sometimes------> Looking at you Steve. ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

We would love to have you back posting your beautiful coins. You HAVE been missed!

red_spork and Magnus Maximus like this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It's great to see you posting again, and that is a fantastic Arcadius!

Eric Kondratieff likes this.
  5. Magnus Maximus

Thanks guys, its good to be back.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Good to see you again MagMax and cool pickup!

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  7. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

Very nice example.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

MagMaxMan is BACK with a vengeance! Great write-up! Your Arcadius Siliqua is the ONLY Siliqua that I have and the ONLY Arcadius I have! GREEEAT entrance back to CT, Dude! LOL

9. The Big Bad Wolf

The Big Bad Wolf Well-Known Member

Not bad, I just recently picked up a Siliqua my self.
    Good looking coin.

10. Magnus Maximus

Thanks Alegandron, Bigby.

11. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Welcome Home M.M. You've been sorely missed.

12. Magnus Maximus

Thanks again TC.
    Everyone feel free to post your coins of Arcadius!

Alegandron and Topcat7 like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Things haven't changed around here. We're still a loose group of coin-loving friends, often taking threads on tangents, and for the most part being patient when others disagree with our views or our humor, and not taking offense when others don't gush over coins we find most interesting.

14. Magnus Maximus

TIF, don't take this the wrong way but please don't lecture me on this matter. What's done is done, I can't change the past but I can change the future.

15. Alegandron

My only Siliqua and only Arcadius

upload_2016-5-24_6-16-44.png
    Arcadius, AD 395-408
    AR Siliqua, 16mm, 1.1g, 12h.
    Obv.: DN ARCADI-VS PF AVG; Pearl diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear.
    Mint MDPS, struck in Milan in 402,
    Ref: RIC1227
    From the Doug Smith Collection, #2829 via @John Anthony JAZ

16. Magnus Maximus

Nice, I remember when you first bought this one.

17. Alegandron

Thanks... I believe it was my first Late Roman capture. I now have all of the "common" Emperors save 9 of them (only 9 slots of my Littleton Roman Emperors Album to fill). There are 30 "Rare" "difficult to acquire" Emperors...I have one of those...

18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

We sure love to see you back home Mag Max, welcome back

For your pleasure (others can have a look too) here are my Arcadius'

[​IMG]
    Arcadius, Siliqua Treveri mint, 2nd officina
    D N ARCADI VS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    VIRTVS RO MANORVM, Roma seated left, holding Victory and spear, TRPS at exergue
    Ref : RIC # 106, Roman coins # 4227

[​IMG]
    Arcadius, AE 2 struck at Alexandria, 3rd officina
    D N ARCADIVS P F AVG, Diademed bust of Arcadius right
    VIRTS EXERCITI (sic !), Arcadius, standing right, a captive at right foot, holding globe and standard. ALE gamma at exergue
    6.28 gr
    Ref : RIC # 18, RC #4230, LRBC #2896 var

[​IMG]
    Arcadius, AE4 Heraclea mint, 1st officina, c. AD 383
    DN ARCADIVS PF AVG. Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    VOT / V within wreath, SMHA at exergue
    1.27g, 14mm, 12h
    Ref : RIC IX # 18b, LRBC II # 1964

Q

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

20. Magnus Maximus