A VERY surprising $20 win

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, Dec 4, 2021.

1. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

ok.. placed a minimum bid on this last friday... 19.99
    More then a little surprised it won...
    64gem.jpg 64gemr.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That’s a bizarre label. Is it genuine PCGS?

4. mrweaseluv

bulk submission through great collections... no serial but yeah real :D

MIGuy likes this.
  5. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Love it! Nice snag! MS65? I am an occasional low ball bidder on the AU / BU designated bulk submission leftovers. I got these 2 Ikes for about $7.50 each because they appealed to me (sellers pics were much better than mine, lol, they're very nice). I also bought a big bulk lot a while back which had some wheat cents that someone had apparently submitted to PCGS and gotten back as "Genuine" - ouch! Including one (1923) with no serial number. How depressing would that be, to pay to submit to PCGS and have your hopes dashed with a "Genuine". Hopefully it was some big dealer lot submission, not a collector who was hoping for a home run. Lol, they were not anything I was interested in, but I do think they're funny - there was also a Franklin 50 cent piece ring in that lot which was something new to me. IMG_E3891.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4227.JPG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    scottishmoney, dwhiz and mrweaseluv like this.
  6. mrweaseluv

MS65-70 so even at a 65 I'm still ahead if 66+ I made a damn sweet buy lol Already considering sending it in as a crossover to NGC with the submission i making this month.. Will see what i think once it's in hand :D

MIGuy likes this.
  7. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I have 3 or 4 of these. Won about the 20.00 range.

8. Savoyspecial

Savoyspecial Member

@MIGuy Your 1923 'genuine' wheat cent was not submitted in hopes of a grade, rather those were part of a promotion on a Scott Travers book/coin collecting kit from some time back.

MIGuy likes this.
  9. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Really? Any further details you can share? I am curious! I'm so glad you posted this info! I bought a big box of stuff, cheaply, and these were in the bottom. [Edit] Google is my friend! With your info, I was able to find this on another forum - Catalog Number: PCGS-001-9-3
    Object: Lincoln Wheat cent
    Date: 1918 - 1929
    Grade: Authentic
    Serial:
    Label: Authentic / 19_ _ Lincoln CENT / Wheat Reverse
    Notes: Some coin collectors believe these to be scarce when first seeing them. This could be because they were marketed to
    non-collectors instead of given away to collectors and dealers. Kiefer relates, "This slab was once thought to be scarce. It might still be semi scarce if no one saved them, but recently I found out from David Hall who told me 'These were an item in a Random House marketed Scott Travers "Coin collecting starter kit." I believe we did either 50,000 or 100,000 of them.'"
    If 50,000 were made, these are by far the most common
    samples ever produced. They do not have bar codes, serial
    numbers, or holograms.
    These are so common that I admit I did not include them in
    sales records for most of the survey, considering them not to be sample slabs. However, they were made to familiarize
    potential customers with PCGS products, which qualifies
    them as samples. I am unsure of the dates available, but
    Kiefer states that they range from 1918 to 1929 and I have not
    seen one with a mintmark.
    At least one sample collector built a complete set.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  10. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I found one of mine. I know there are more but I found this one. Bought this 07/03/20 and paid 14.50. Might have gotten it from the same seller you got yours from? Mbarrcoins? That's who I got this one from. I guess the copyright on the reverse is a bit different...
    Screenshot_20211204-182908_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211204-182917_Gallery.jpg

mrweaseluv likes this.
  11. mrweaseluv

very possible lol i bid on a lot of mbarr auctions

Draft saved Draft deleted