A very lucky find.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jimmyv, May 20, 2021.

1. Jimmyv

Jimmyv Member

A short while back when I first became a member of CoinTalk, I had mentioned in my first post that my wife and I, 25 years ago, came across some hidden treasures in the basement of an old house we were cleaning out to put on the market. The owners, who had died within a month of each other at a ripe old age, were related to my wife. They had no children.
    After a weekend of backbreaking work emptying the contents of the house, we filled up a 30 yard dumpster. The owners were heavy smokers and everything reeked. We finally headed down to the basement, steps were broken, two overhead lightbulbs was all the light we had. My wife discovered a paper grocery bag behind an old washing machine, which backed up to shelves holding jarred food. Thinking it was just garbage, she handed it to me and I was shocked to see that it contained coins. U.S. and foreign.
    Mostly copper with some silver. Here's a sample of the discovery. P5200275.JPG P5200275.JPG P5200276.JPG P5200277.JPG P5200278.JPG P5200279.JPG

-jeffB, GH#75, CoinJockey73 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Awesome finds. Were they already in slabs or did you do that after?

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Wonder how much that 1877 would cost 25 years ago compared to now,intreasting story.

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Impressive. What about the foreign coins?

AidenAlexander and Eric the Red like this.
  6. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

About 3 years ago, not being at all familiar with grading terms, I would've thought that "Good Details" and "Fine Details" meant something totally different that they actually do. I have the same question as furrgyfrog, regarding whether you found them already slabbed.

Beefer518 likes this.
  7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Those are relatively recent NGC slabs. The OP probably had them graded in the past few years or so.

GH#75, JeffC and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Shows how much I know about the TPG game. Besides the fact that is largely a racket ;P

9. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Dang! That's an incredible find, are you going to sell some of the more valuable ones or keep them? If you're selling I'll take the Early copper.... ;);)

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

:shifty::shifty:.

William F likes this.
  11. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Nice find for sure.

12. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

The indian was slabbed 08/18/2020, The '53 large cent 1803 1/2 cent and 1809 1/2 cent were slabbed 08/27/2020. SO yes they were recent slabs

JeffC likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Potty, do you do this intentionally or do your fingers just trip over themselves on the keyboard?

It's spelled i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g !:eek:

14. potty dollar 1878

Didn't realize that,the words just pop up without me typing them and I let my device do the dirty work.Guess I need to keep track more.

Scott J and CoinJockey73 like this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

A quick CT search resulted in 47 different times that you've misspelled it.

Search Results for Query: intreasting | Coin Talk

;););););)

CamaroDMD, Scott J, Beefer518 and 2 others like this.
  16. potty dollar 1878

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I am going to guess that he misspelled it the first time, somehow it got saved to his dictionary and now it auto corrects to the misspelling every time he types intre instead of inter to start the word....

ddddd, Scott J, -jeffB and 7 others like this.
  18. Jimmyv

Jimmyv Member

I had them slabbed later on.

Bradley Trotter and furryfrog02 like this.
  19. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

Interesting thing is my brain auto corrected and I didn't even notice when I read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted