Featured A very interesting imitation somewhere in Cappadocia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I bought a tetradrachm from the Seleukid king Antiochos VII Euergetes that I was so astonished about I had to get it, for some time I could not figure out what it was. I could find absolutely no other coins on the web with the same style, so I just stamped it as a "barbarous imitation". However, I knew there were official imitations minted by Cappadocia, but these were MUCH better in style. I therefore contacted Catharine Lorber (an expert in that area), and she shared an article with me where she investigated these 'obscure' imitations: Early Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII by Elke Krengel, and Catharine C. Lorber.

Tetradrachms in the name of the Seleukid king Antiochos VII Euergetes (138-129 BC) were discovered that were in fact minted in the Cappadocian kingdom under Ariarathes VII, Ariarathes VIII, Ariarathes IX, and Ariobarzanes X. The first of those series is die linked to the portrait tetradrachms of Ariarathes VII, and all three series bear secondary controls in the inner left and inner right fields that match the controls of royal Cappadocian coin issues (normally drachms) of those kings, creating a long succession of double control links.

Example of these beautiful imitations:
    [​IMG]
    KINGS of CAPPADOCIA. Ariarathes VII Philometor. Circa 112/0-100 BC. AR Tetradrachm (28mm, 16.43 g, 12h). Struck in the name of Antiochos VII of Syria. Ariaratheia or Eusebia-Tyana mint(?). Struck circa 104-102 BC. Diademed head of Antiochos VII right / Athena Nikephoros standing left; to outer left, monogram above A; O to inner left, Λ to inner right; all within wreath. Lorber & Houghton series 1, issue 3, Engraver A (unlisted obv. die); SC 2148; HGC 9, 1069. Good VF, bright surfaces, struck with worn reverse die.

However, in a hoard, called the "Posthumous Antiochos VII hoard" there were tetradrachms that could not be so obviously related to the royal Cappadocian coinage. These tetradrachms were likely from even earlier Cappadocian kings, Ariarathes V and VI. In the hoard, four mints were assigned, which were linked by obverse dies but more often by the hands of a number of identifiable die engravers.

All mints, except one mint, have the primary control above A in outer left field, imitating the primary control of Antioch during the latter reign of Antiochos VII. The main difference between coins of the different mints is the style and the secondary controls appearing in the inner right field.

The coin:
    [​IMG]
    Ariarathes VI Epiphanes Philopator (130-116 B.C.). Imitation AR Tetradrachm in the name of Antiochos VII Euergetes (Sidetes) (138-129 B.C.). Cappadocian mint. Unmarked issue, perhaps dated Year 1.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Antiochos VII to right.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟY - EYEPΓETOY Athena standing front, head to left, holding Nike in her right hand and spear and shield in her left; to outer left, monogram above A; all within wreath.
    Reference: Early Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII (Elke Krengel, Catharine C. Lorber). Mint IV, emission 11, engraver X. Plate 18, 668 (same P4 reverse die).
    15.82g; 28mm.

The above coin, has been identified to be minted at Mint IV. Mint IV is represented by just four coins in the article, one of which was recorded from the 'posthumous Antiochus VII' hoard and another of which comes from the Asia Minor hoard of c.1959. This tiny sample argues that Mint IV was even more remote than the other three mints (and from the place where the 'posthumous Antiochos VII' hoard was formed). The mean weight of the coins minted at Mint IV is significantly lower than the mean weights of the tetradrachms from the other mint. The four known coins of Mint IV all belong to a single issue lacking a secondary control.

The reverse dies of this mint exhibit some unusual stylistic features, including a consistently right-facing Nike, lozenge-shaped omicrons (letter O), and an arrangement of the ties at the bottom of the wreath to form a letter A. The last may be a personal taste of the artist, but its consistency could indicate that it is a deliberate action of the regnal numbers that appear in the exergue of royal Cappadocian silver coins, in which case Mint IV would be the only Cappadocian mint to date its pseudo-Seleukid tetradrachms.
    During the reign of Ariarathes VI, Mint C drachms of year 1 correspond to the tetradrachms of Mint IV. Both feature an exceptional right-facing Nike as well as the letter A below the reverse type. Therefore, it is suggested that this tetradrachm is minted in the first regnal year of Ariarathes VI, somewhere in a distant and obscure mint (Comona is suggested).

An Ariarathes VI mint C drachm. Another regnal year (and most likely another engraver), but it does show the same kind of unusual stylistic features on the reverse:
    [​IMG]
    KINGS of CAPPADOCIA. Ariarathes VI Epiphanes. Circa 130-112/0 BC. AR Drachm (4.19 g, 11h). Mint C (Comana?). Diademed head right / BASILEWS ARIARAQOU EPIFANOUS, Athena Nikephoros standing left; monogram to outer right; AI in exergue. Mørkholm, Coinages I, Issue 4b; Simonetta 23; SNG Copenhagen Supp. -; BMC -; SNG von Aulock 6284 var. (same obv. die, different date). Good VF, obverse a little soft.

On the end, why did these Cappadocian king imitate this one specific Seleukid king?
    The Cappadocian production of imitative tetradrachms must have been preceded by a largescale import of genuine coins of Antiochos VII, for these are virtually the only Seleukid coins found in Cappadocian hoards, together with a very few coins of Demetrios II Nikator and Alexander II Zabinas.
    The ancient sources make no connection between these Seleukid monarchs and the Cappadocian kingdom. It is also most unlikely that Antiochos VII provided financial support to Ariarathes V for the campaign against Eumenes III of Pergamon, there was no reason for the Seleukid to subsidize the expansion of a neighbouring kingdom.
    However, there seems to be evidence of a brief period of Cappadocian dominance in western Cilicia. And it is therefore likely that a large monetary payment prevented a Cappadocian advance into the Seleukid eastern Cilicia.

[​IMG]

These coins atleast provided the models for Cappadocian imitations. The original motive for producing these imitations was perhaps to attract soldiers recently in the service of Antiochus VII. Atleast, the coins were continued to be struck for another three decades.

I can understand not everyone is interested in these kind of imitations, but I hope you enjoyed the write up, it is always fun and good to share.
    Please share your weird/obscure imitations, Antiochos VII tetradrachms and Cappadocian imitations!

Egry, Ryro, Magnus Maximus and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great write up Pavlos, the reason these Cappadocian kings imitated Antiochus VII coins was probably the fact that the coins were well known and well spread , same goes for Alexander the great coins, still struck after 200 years after his death.
    just my 2 cents.

egg shaped Syrian Tetradrachma of Antiochos VII

P1140233.JPG

Ryro, Theodosius, Sardar and 7 others like this.
  4. Pavlos

Very nice coin @Andres2. That could also be the case, that Antiochos VII his tetradrachms circulated in the Cappadocian kingdom and it was therefore a trusted currency for them.

Andres2 likes this.
  5. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII
    CATHERINE C. LORBER AND ARTHUR HOUGHTON with an Appendix of quantitive analyses by PETR VESELÝ

Find either on JSTOR Or Academia.edu

THE Cappadocian king Ariarathes VII (c.110–c.99 BC) struck a single issue of tetradrachms bearing his own portrait (Issue 1).2 Otto Mørkholm commented on the ‘unmistakable Seleucid appearance’ of these tetradrachms, noting the fi llet border on the obverse and the layout of the reverse, including the laurel wreath border. Describing the reverse as ‘actually copied very closely’ from issues of Antiochus VII, Antiochus VIII, and Antiochus IX, he suggested that the ‘strong Seleucid fl avor’ and the high quality of the portrait might indicate that the dies were cut by a Seleucid engraver. In 2002 a remarkable coin appeared on the numismatic market: a tetradrachm issued in the name of Ariarathes VII, but bearing the portrait of the Seleucid king Antiochus VII Euergetes (Sidetes) (138–129 BC) (Issue 2). The piece is both reverse die linked to tetradrachms with the portrait of the young Ariarathes VII (Issue 1) and obverse die linked to tetradrachms naming Antiochus VII as their issuing authority (Issue 3). All three emissions share the same controls. The discovery of this control link quickly led to the identifi cation of other tetradrachms that seem to be Antiochene issues of Antiochus VII,3 but whose secondary controls appear in the same positions on Cappadocian drachms (the latter, in addition, carry a letter or letters in the exergue, which in most instances can be interpreted as regnal dates). The control links imply a Cappadocian origin for three series of tetradrachms, involving a total of fourteen apparently Seleucid emissions,

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

A fabulous coin and an awesome writeup Pavlos! I learned a lot, thank you!

Here's my Antiochos VII:

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.30.30 PM.jpg

7. Pavlos

Severus Alexander likes this.
  8. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

How do they compare to the official Seleucid coins in fineness of the silver used in them?

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  9. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

I believe that you cannot tell and it only became apparent when mules and transferred mint marks became apparent. My example ( long gone)was sold as Seleucid but turned out to Cappadocian! Fineness of silver and weight and striking quality and celating skills..no difference when I looked up Lorber, Houghton et al.

You need to look up the references..a most intriguing story-that is numismatics not slabbing and obsessive grading.

Pavlos and Theodosius like this.
  10. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

"I bought a tetradrachm from the Seleukid king Antiochos VII Euergetes"

Does he sell on line or does he have a shop ?

NewStyleKing, Theodosius and Kentucky like this.
  11. Pavlos

I am not sure regarding purity of the coins, and I doubt these Cappadocian imitations were ever analysed for their elements.
    I do know that Antiochos VII had the lowest purity in his tetradrachms minted in Antioch compared to the the whole early and mid reign of the Seleukid empire.

[​IMG]
    Source: Radiation Physics and Chemistry 158 (2019) page 165-174

12. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Nice graph.

13. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Pavlos - I am just discovering this post and unfortunately it looks like your coin image is no longer linked. Here's my tetradrachm from these unusual coins - issued by Cappadocians printing coins in the the name of Antiochus VII. Links to more information on this coin, including the Lorber reference articles in my Notes post.
    Antiochus VII Sidetes Tet.jpg
    Syria, Seleukid Kingdom, Antiochos VII Sidetes, 138-129 BC, AR Tetradrachm, 16.34g, Cappadocian Mint, Posthumous issue (Group 12?) under Ariobarzanes I of Cappadocia (?)
    Obv: Diademed head right
    Rev: Athena standing left, holding spear and crowning Nike; two monograms to inner left, shield to right inscribed; monogram to inner right; all within wreath
    Ref: SC-2144.2

I think this one is Obv die A108 from Lorber's catalogs with a more uncommon secondary control:
    upload_2021-2-5_17-25-36.png
    upload_2021-2-5_17-26-16.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  14. tenorduckroll

tenorduckroll Member

Great info Sulla. I love learning about some of these ancients

15. Pavlos

Thanks @Sulla80 for your post. I have no idea what happened, basically all my images suddenly vanished on the forum. All my write ups are now lacking any pictures, and I do not understand how I can fix it. Also I do not know how to place any images anymore.

Anyway, it indeed looks like A108 obverse die of SC 2144, nice coin! Yours must be struck a bit later than the plate coin looking at the die break at the eye. Cappadocian imitations are quite abundant and has many varieties in style.
    I have recently acquired another Cappadocian imitation as well, in the time of Ariarathes VIII - Ariobarzanes I. The tetradrachm in my original post is one of the first imitations, under Ariarathes VI.

DonnaML likes this.
  16. Severus Alexander

If you always upload your images within a post (using the "Upload a File" button when writing it) rather than linking them, they'll be safe from server changes that mess up your links.

My newest Seleukid, Antiochos I w/ anchor countermark:
    1566693_1606944901.jpg

17. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I never clicked on your website link before, or if you've updated it a lot since my last visit - either way it looks great!

DonnaML likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Bmmer, I cannot see your images, @Pavlos Everyone else's images show, but each of your images show like this:

upload_2021-2-6_18-54-41.png

19. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Very excited to see your coin, SA - I too just got an anchor countermark on an Antiochos I host, but different than yours:

CM - Seleucid Anchor on Ant. I Nike Jan 2021 (0).jpg

Seleucid Kingdom Æ 17
    Antiochos I Soter
    Aï Khanoum or Western Mint
    n.d. (c. 281-261 B.C.)

Helmeted head of Athena right /ΒΑΣΙΛΕ[ΟΣ] - ΑΝΤΙΟ[ΧΟΥ], Nike advancing left, holding wreath and palm.
    Countermark: Seleucid anchor, flukes upward, in 7 x 4 mm oval
    (6.20 grams / 17 mm)

Attribution Notes:
    Spaer 245-7.
    Agora Auction Sale 71, Lot 88 26.12.2017
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4645452

SC 453
    Shick Coins listing (VCoins)

eBay seller Attribution: Lindgren I 1766-7

20. Severus Alexander

Excellent, now we are countermark buddies! :D

21. Pavlos

Thank you Sulla! Your blog is great as well.

Indeed... Since cointalk was offline last week all my pictures are now not loaded. The links to the images are just fine, it seems that something messed up the bbcode on cointalk since it was offline and cannot show images from external links anymore. I hope it gets fixed, since I cannot edit my posts anymore.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted