Featured A Very Interesting 10 Cent Indent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Apparently, a slightly-curved clip, unstruck 10 cent planchet was laying directly on top of another 10 cent planchet directly and completely inside the collar, and were then struck by dime dies.

I have never seen something like this before, and it almost caused me to question its authenticity.

You can also see some phantom designs from both sides that bled through and appear on the mostly unstruck reverse, albeit slightly.

Notice on the obverse by the date you can tell where the raised details on the other side are. Looks damaged, but it is not (at least not numismatically speaking).

Very cool and a neat find. I guess this would be considered a "full ireverse indent from a curved clip"? Or would it be a "partial indent from a curved clip"? (To me, a "partial indent" means only a portion of the curved clip was struck into it, which is not the case).

My understanding is that "indents" are technically not "strike throughs." Not sure why though.

IMG_0460~2.jpg reverse~2.jpg

OzGirl, NLL, Peter T Davis and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That would of been an extremely thin planchet to allow the Die to strike that part of the Dime with enough force to leave what is seen. I don't know.. Interesting!

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

How much does it weigh?

Also, how thick is the coin where the design was struck on the reverse? Is it abnormally thick in that area?

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Interesting coin. Don't think I have ever seen one like it.

6. JCro57

Standard weight on the dime

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I was thinking.. Could it be instead a huge cud and only that small area was what was actually left on the Die enough to create what is seen?

Never mind.. Your comment about the phantom designs negate my idea.

8. JCro57

I believe it was a clipped planchet that was the standard thickness, not even a clad layer. Pretty sure a clad layer being so thin would have left much stronger designs into the unstruck area of this coin, though certainly not detailed. But much stronger than what is there already.

The luster on both sides, the standard weight, and all the little nicks on the indented side which match what unstruck planchets look like prove to me it was struck this way and was not altered in any way.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Cool error, Joe. Never seen one like that before. Indent ‘curve’ is usually the other way round.

Agree that a clipped planchet probably caused this. :happy:

10. JCro57

The other way around?

11. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the remaining design after the indent strike. Most examples I saw are shaped like a bite out of a cookie. But your example is very different and cool.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Could you show us a picture of the edge. My mind is having trouble believing it weighs the same as a normal dime, and yet my eyes tell me half of the reverse coin is missing.

13. JCro57

More proof this is genuine. Notice the reeding goes all the way to the top of the raised area. Also, the metal had to shift somewhere, and is way thicker than a normal dime in that area.
    0814191116_HDR.jpg 0814191114_HDR.jpg

Charlie Cliques, VDB and Heavymetal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted