A very beautiful toned 1982 Lincoln

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tomfiggy, Sep 26, 2015.

1. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Look close it's a DDO too.................lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

Tom - Step back for a second. Look back at your original post and remember how "OH MY GOSH" you felt when you discovered this standout penny. You know what I'm saying - before all the "experts" decided to squash you with there "critique." That feeling, "that WHOA!!" feeling is why most of us began collecting (and if you check it out, most of us began collecting pennies). When I read your post I could actually sense the ear-to-ear grin on your face, and wanting to show others.

That's what you need to hang on to. That's what's important. I'm going to experiment a little with some of my pennies. I'm thinking Coke, lemon juice, probably not cat pee, to see if I can make a penny that's NOT beautiful, NOT original, NOT worth selling, and as WAY COOL as yours. In fact, we should have a contest to see who can make the best (worst) toned penny. Thanks for brightening up my day. Jack

tomfiggy likes this.
  4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Well it doesn't mean it was peed on.... although that's one the better possibilities I have heard in a long time :)
    Naturally toned coins are when a coin was in-between or in a roll (roll being a paper roll of course) for a long time and after awhile, whether through the environment, the sun etc.... the ink from those papers transfer onto the coin. It also can happen with plastics depending what went into the plastic being made and the environment the coins were left in inside that plastic.

Artificial toning is when someone purposely attempts to tone a coin, basically the same things mentioned above. The difference is that the value can be affected greatly depending if the toning was naturally or man made. Typically you can tell (if not, plenty of those here that can).

Draft saved Draft deleted