A very beautiful toned 1982 Lincoln

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tomfiggy, Sep 26, 2015.

1. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

This is a nice one. I'm also noticing how yellow the lightest parts are. It looks like a brass planchet. Is that possible? Image23918.jpg Image23923.jpg Image23928.jpg Image23929.jpg Image23930.jpg

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  4. tomfiggy

I know about copper vs zincoln. do you like the coin?
    I don't see a scratch on it anywhere. I don't see any wear on the coin at all. It came out of a Loomis roll I got at the Bank. AU58?
    Oh my god! It's got a doubled ear! haha

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

6. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Just saying, if it isn't a zinc core cent, it's 95% copper and 5% zinc meaning it would be brass technically.

7. tomfiggy

I know what you are saying. Some cents are really yellow like brass. Most cents are copper colored. Maybe they are the same but I believe I read somewhere (I'm in trouble now no sources) that the metal ratio was off on some runs. Maybe this accounts for the intensity of the colors, and the very light brass color in the middle of the face, and near the rim a couple of spots on the back.
    Toning can impart color to darken the metal. I don't think you can lighten the metal. Do you? I don't know.

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

no, on all questions...and its a zincoln, potholes on reverse are zinc rot...

paddyman98 and Amos 811 like this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, the pimpling definitely indicates a plated cent.

As for the toning... it appears to have something spilled on it, and is corroding. It is not attractive, or original.

ldhair likes this.
  10. tomfiggy

11. tomfiggy

I like it...

Thanks for your opinions

12. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Yeah even if it ain't genuinely toned, it has a lot more and better color then some on here have in their albums I'm sure

13. tomfiggy

I found it in a roll. I found a nice 1993 in a roll too and put it on here. Immediately some person said it was "fake". What does that mean? I don't know how it got toned. It may have had contact with something, water, catsup, tea, coffee, sweat, how do I know? That's random environmental exposure or even more sinister a chemistry experiment gone horribly wrong. So the person threw it in coinstar?
    I just came across a toned coin that changes color nicely from different viewing angles.

14. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Well I missed your post on your '93 roll find but if it was toned and a member said it was "fake", it's more then likely he or she called the toning on the coin "fake" as their are both, "naturally and artificially toned" and their are several if not more ways to artificially tone a coin and if a coin is artificially toned, it, 9 times out of 10, hurts the value of the coin.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

16. tomfiggy

here is the '93. Does artificially toned mean someone spilled Coca Cola in their purse? What if it sat in the sun after a cat peed on it? How do coins become "naturally" toned? Natural does not mean organic. Is there a regulatory body that decides what is natural and what is "artificial" or "fake"? Is it only for coins that sit in the sun without pee? 1993toned.jpg 93tonedE.jpg 93tonedok.jpg

17. tomfiggy

I'm sorry I don't understand the whole "toned coin" thing. I won't post any more about these.

18. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

I think it's pretty spectacular looking, regardless of how it occurred (oh, and by-the-way, WHO CARES). I don't have one like it. It would certainly "sparkle" in a collection. Destroy its value?? How much value in ANY '82 is there to "destroy." Darn it Tom, there goes the early retirement 'cause your pretty penny is a FAKE! The fact that you remember how you got will make it a special piece forever. And if your worried about it impacting the value of your Lincoln Mem set, put it in a flip. Sheeesh!! Jack

tomfiggy likes this.
  19. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i've had this littleton album with like 4 blank pages for cents that i could not decide what to do with for the longest time, so now everytime i get a cent from CRH thats like the OP's coin, it has a place to go, and the 4 pages are now full...

20. olero

olero Active Member

I don't think a 1993 penny could tone that way naturally. I'll say that it is interesting. If I had it I would put it in my collection and tell my grand kids how I found it. As far as being something someone else would pay money for, I doubt it.

21. tomfiggy

Heck it only cost me a penny

olero likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted