A Triple Solidus Reveal

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Romancollector, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd share my first coins of 2020. While I did not get everything I wanted in the January auctions, I believe that I kicked off the new year off with a bang!

One of my goals this year is to complete my third volume of Roman Imperial coinage, which starts in the middle of the Third Century crisis and ends with Zeno. Overall, I want to build a collection that is diverse in denominations with a particular emphasis on fine style portraiture. As odd as it may sound, I want specific denominations (and even portrait types) for particular emperors. While I already had a significant portion of the emperors from this period, I upgraded and sold many coins that did not meet my requirements. In this volume of 75 coins, I aim to have 9 gold coins (9 solidi and 1 tremissis). I already had two lower grade solidi (Honorius and Theodosius II) which I sold off. I replaced the Honorius with a higher grade example back in November and it was included in my top 15 of 2019 post. That being said, I do not have, nor can I afford, any coins that are categorically FDC. Ultimately, my goal is to get the best for my budget, which requires a certain amount of patience ;) (something I do not always have). Some of you may also remember that I purchased a Valentinian I solidus that I returned due to it being a modern forgery :(. By the end of 2019, I was down from 3/9 to 1/9 gold coins for volume III. As of today, I am happy to report that I have obtained 5/9 types that I wanted (4 from the January auctions) :happy:.

Here are my solidi from the January auctions:

1. Constantius II (336-361 AD)
    AV Solidus

upload_2020-1-29_16-31-46.png

Obv: FL IVL CONSTAN-TIVS PERP AVG, pearl-diademed, helmeted, cuirassed bust of Constantius II facing, head slightly right, spear in right hand over shoulder, shield in left decorated with horseman motif.
    Rev: GLORIA-REI-PVBLICAE, Roma enthroned facing (on left), spear in left hand, and Constantinopolis enthroned left (on right), scepter in left hand, jointly holding between them with their right hands a shield inscribed VOT/XXXV/MVLT/XXXX.
    Weight: 4.56 grams
    Mint: Sirmium
    RIC VIII 57

2. Valentinian II (375-392 AD)

AV Solidus

upload_2020-1-29_16-38-27.png

Obv:
    DN VALENTINI-ANVS P F AVG, rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Valentinian II right, seen from front.
    Rev: CONCORDI-A AVGGG S, Constantinopolis seated facing on plain throne, helmeted head right, right foot on prow, sceptre in right hand, globe in left; CONOB in exergue.
    Weight: 4.49 grams
    Mint: Constantinople
    RIC IX 62b

3. Arcadius (383-408 AD)

AV Solidus

upload_2020-1-29_16-45-42.png

Obv:
    DN ARCADI-VS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Arcadius right, seen from front.
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGGG, emperor standing facing in military dress, diademed head right, vexillum in right hand, Victory on globe in left, placing left foot on bound captive reclining to left and facing back; M-D across fields, COMOB in exergue.
    Weight: 4.44 grams
    Mint: Mediolanum
    RIC X 1205

(photos of solidi by Heritage)

Here is the bonus!

4. Marcian (450-457 AD)
    AV Tremissis

upload_2020-1-29_16-51-56.png

Obv: DN MARCIA-NVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM, Victory walking right, looking left, holding wreath and cross on globe, star to right.
    Weight: 1.48 grams
    Mint: Constantinople
    RIC X 520

(photo of tremissis CNG)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

WOW! All obviously amazing... my favorite is the Constantius II - stunning!
    What a great way to start the decade!!!

Romancollector and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That Constantius II is amazing. One of my favorite portraits on a Late Roman coin.

Romancollector likes this.
  5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That first coin is astonishing. The others are remarkable as well. How wonderful to know what you want, to be committed to the research, to be purposeful, and to have the means to make it happen.

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow!...Panzerman gonna like'em...:)..

7. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

A question for the experts: in Roman Imperial coinage, except on some solidi and aurei, are they emperors with facing portrait ?

8. Romancollector

@Ocatarinetabellatchitchix I'm by no means an expert, but I know there are late Roman AE3s with facing busts. However, I've only seen this with Honorius and Arcadius. As for earlier bronze/copper/silver denominations, I don't think there are any facing portraits.

9. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

10. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

There also is a bronze Medallion of Commodus, an Antoninianus of Tetricus II, and Antoniniani of Carausius with facing portraits.
    Early examples on gold coins include Aurei of Postumus and a Quinarius of Tetricus I.

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Also Licinus I/ Maxentius/ Licinus II:happy:

12. panzerman

Darn right, great coins Romancollector! The first three, I have your exact Mints/ types. I still need the Marcianus Tremissis. I was making a whack of cinnamon buns, so was out of the loop this morning. I hope you add many more nice Solidi:) Also the semissis/ tremissis....
    John

ominus1 likes this.
  13. Romancollector

Thanks @panzerman ! You have some of the most tasteful/exceptional gold ancients I've ever seen, so the fact that you have the same mints/types gives me a peace of mind that I made good choices...:) And also, with regards to baking cinnamon buns, that sounds very yummy. I hope you add many more too, although, from what I've seen you have just about everything under the sun!

panzerman likes this.
  14. Salaethus

Salaethus Well-Known Member

@Romancollector Nice attractive gold pieces, these seem like really fun types to collect. Congrats!

panzerman and Romancollector like this.
  15. panzerman

Thanks Romancollector! I hope to add some more this year. I always have four homemade cinnamon buns for breakfast with couple cups freshly ground Starbucks dark roast coffee.
    Lots of calories, but heavenly;)

Draft saved Draft deleted