A trio of Civil War tokens

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bradley Trotter, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Recently, I went to my Local coin dealer here in Nashville, TN and found these in the foreign coin box. Any insight into these tokens would be appreciated regarding their value and origin.
    IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

Legomaster1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I love the copy on the upper right piece. Not only can you get your toys, fancy goods and fishing tackle..... You can also get your rare coins!

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The Marshall Fishing Tackle piece is listed as NY 695-A-2a. It is common but popular because of the mention of "rare coin." He was more interested in fishing although he did by the collection of the father of George Rice. Rice was an ANA member.

The second piece, Rudolph Staudinger, was a New York City confectioner. He had two other branches in NYC. He was in business with his three brothers. The token is common and listed as NY 630-BS-2a.

Ketcham & Barker sold stoves and Hardward in Toledo, Ohio. The token is listed as OH 860-C-1b. It is rated as an R-2, fairly common. The main interest is stove design on the reverse.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I'm thinking the Marshall Fish token is probably the one worth the most but ever since pebay has diminished the profit sellers can make by giving out free listings to everyone and their brother the price on most CWT's has dropped a bit. If you want to check value, just go to pebay and you'll get a rough idea. Nice finds! :D

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Interesting group. I have a soft spot for the NY-695 Marshall piece. Back in the 80’s, I saw one at a show for $2-3 and bought it. Spent some time looking it up, bought the Fuld books (the old, thin black soft copy editions) and was on my way. Long story short, I’ve been a member of the CWTS for over 30 years and developed an interest in Civil War history. I no longer actively add to my collection, but enjoy the tokens I have.

Draft saved Draft deleted