A Trajan temple coin with a bit of a mystery

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

18.7.png

Hello everyone,

One of my latest acquisitions is an interesting (and in my opinion absolutely lovely!) AE As of Trajan, with a temple reverse. The identity of the reverse however is uncertain and various sources identify it differently. However, if the sources are compared, it seems the majority points in the same direction. A note before I start: when it comes to sources, I have to do with a limited amount. I don't have BMC or RIC, so I look online (acsearch, wildwinds, ocre). I do have some books (Sear, van Meter, etc) and of course there are articles online. So, if you happen to have sources that shed another or additional light on this matter, please feel free to add it in this discussion!

My coin is an AE As, and there's also a sestertius version of this type. It caused a bit of confusion on my side, that both have the same RIC number: 575. There's also a dupondius (RIC 567) on wildwinds, and the reverse is described as showing the temple of Pax. It however looks the same as RIC 575. RIC 577 also shows a temple, but a different one with 'side porticos' that is mentioned by Van Meter in his book, unlike RIC 575. This coin shows the temple of Jupiter Victor. The 'temple coins' were not part of the coinage commemorating Trajan's building projects, which includes coins showing the Via Traiana, the Aqua Traiana and the famous Forum of Trajan. Sear dates my temple AE As at 107 AD, just before the decennalia of Trajan. This appears to correspond with Clive Foss (p. 97) who mentions that the temples of Honos and Venus Genetrix had already been restored before that anniversary. The building of the Via Traiana for example, commenced in 109 AD.

Now, about the sources:
    • RIC: RIC identifies the temple shown on the AE as as the temple of Pax. The temple is to be sought in the provinces. The sestertius (RIC 575) is identified as the temple of Venus Genetrix (via https://www.wildwinds.com).
    • Sear (p. 112, 116): Sear cites Hill, stating that the temple is the temple of Honos. The temple was part of the twin-temple complex of Honos and Virtue, and situated outside the Porta Capena in Rome's First Region. No remains are existent today (wikipedia). According to Sear, RIC 577 shows the temple of Jupiter Victor, at the north eastern corner of the Palatine.
    • Hill: Philip Hill (pp. 9-10): Hill refers to the large series of bronze struck by Trajan to commemorate his tenth anniversary, and identifies the figure as Honos (picture 1 shows the sestertius), since it is identical with on of the figures on the 'Honos and Virtus' types of Galba, Vitellius and Vespasian. Hill also states that it is impossible to identify the temple exactly, since details of the temple are lost, but because a large and imposing building is shown, we may assume it is the temple dedicated to Honos and part of the twin-temple complex with Virtus. (Do note the reference to the tents anniversary, which contradicts with Clive Foss.)
    • Clive Foss (p. 97, 102): Prior to his decennalia, Trajan had restored the temples of Honos and Venus Genetrix. Two coins show the restored temples: RIC 575 (sestertius and AE as) shows the temple of Honos (as and sestertius), and RIC 577 shows the temple of Venus Genetrix.
    • Ursula Kampmann (2009) in Coinsweekly (https://coinsweekly.com/a-temple-for-honos/) identifies the temple as the temple of Honos. She theorizes that temple is shown on the coin because Trajan had received the title 'to the best of princes' by the people of Rome and the Senate.
    Many auction houses follow RIC and identify the temple as the temple of Pax, or leave the identification vague and merely mention a 'temple with "Kultbild"'.

Some question remain, however. For one, I don't understand why RIC differentiates between the temple of Pax for the AE As and the temple of Venus Genetrix for the Sestertius. Both statues look identical to me. Another issue is that Hill shows the sestertius in his book, mentions a 'large series of bronze', but does not mention the difference between the AE As and the sestertius as mentioned in RIC, and links the issue to the decennalia of Trajan (105 - 107 AD). Enough question remain to dive deeper into this coin, and other coins part of the series and the dating. If only I had more time ....

Hoping to hear what other members of this board think! And please post your temple coins, your Trajan's or coins with a mystery!

Books:
    Sear, Roman coins and their values II, reprinted 2010.
    Philip Hill, The monuments of Ancient Rome as Coin Types, 1989
    Clive Foss, Roman Historical Coins, 1990
    David van Meter, The handbook of Roman Imperial Coins, reprinted, 2000
    Online:
    Acsearch, wildwinds, coinweekly

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin Limes with fantastic eye appeal, a type that tat interests me as well. I think the deity/temple in the base issues will always remain a mystery. But I am sure the Celator knew.....:rolleyes:
    I have one of each denomination, two of your type and a sestertius of the temple complex with the porticoes. 9fpWi2Eq3Ns2n7XYCw8e5DrPJ4aacc.jpg
    Trajan (98-117). Æ Sestertius (34mm, 23.54g, 6h). Rome, c. 107-111. Laureate bust r., slight drapery on l. shoulder. R/ Octastyle temple with portico on either side, seated figure within; Jupiter on pediment seated facing, seated figures on either side; Victories at corners, standing figure at point. RIC II 577. Three holes repaired 179.jpg
    Trajan Dupondius (27mm, 11.81g) Rome struck 107-108 AD Pax standing in octastyle temple, RIC 11 576.
    This coin is now thought to represent the Temple of Divus Plotina & Trajan in the Forum of Trajan, which is thought to have been begun by Trajan and completed by Hadrian. This temple was situated directly behind the column of Trajan, at one end of his forum. I have actually seen a column from the temple underground behind Trajan's column. trajan2-removebg-preview.png
    Trajan (98-117). Æ As (26.5mm, 9.3g, 6h). Rome, 107-8. Laureate bust r., Slight drapery. R / Octastyle temple: on pediment, Jupiter seated between two reclining figures; on roof, five statues; between central columns, Pax standing facing. RIC II 575. Green-brown patina, VF;

4. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Splendid coins @Ancient Aussie! It always pleasently suprises me that many members of this board and collectors in general are able to present beautiful and relevant pieces of their collection. Because there I was, thinking that my coin was something else, somewhat scarce, and then you are presenting not one, but three amazing temple coins! Chapeu!
    Your sestertius with the temple of Jupiter Victor has some interesting damage, I assume someone was trying to drill three holes into it, to make it into a pendant?

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  5. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Trajan's Forum (95 x 116 m, surrounded by the monumental entrance, the Basilica Ulpia and two side porticoes) was indeed the most awe inspiring construction of ancient Rome. Ammianus Marcellinus wrote it at the end of the 4th c. when reporting the visit of the Christian emperor Constantius II : "But when he came to the Forum of Trajan, a construction unique under the heavens, as we believe, and admirable even in the unanimous opinion of the gods, he stood fast in amazement, turning his attention to the gigantic complex about him, beggaring description and never again to be imitated by mortal men" (Ammianus XVI.10). Constantius then confesses he would never be able to match such a wonder.

At this time the Forum of Trajan had already been deprived of a few of its monumental sculptures which were re-used in the Arch of Constantine. Later, it was almost completely razed to the ground, except for Trajan's Column that by some miracle still stands intact.

The two opposite facades (Forum entrance and Basilica Ulpia) were depicted of Trajan's coinage, sestertii and aurei. Both were topped by a row of free-standing statues of triumphal quadrigas, victories, trophies, and Dacian captives on top of the side porticoes. Some must have been in gilded bronze and were later melted, but the Dacian captives were in marble or porphyry and some of them are preserved on the Arch of Constantine or in museums.

The design of the two opposite 95 m wide facades standing on a few steps with their huge columns and their rows of statues on the top surely inspired the Renaissance architects who created the St Peter Basilica monumental facade, 112 m long, in the Vatican. Bernini also probably drew inspiration from the Trajanic temple coin showing the octastyle temple with its two side porticoes (like on @Ancient Aussie 's sestertius), when he drew the two elliptic side porticoes of the Piazza San Pietro in front of the basilica.

Typically Roman are the statues standing on top of pediments or linear facades. It was originally an Etruscan architectural feature, for there are no free-standing monumental statues on top of Greek temples. In 6th c. BC Rome they were in terracotta, and when the temples were rebuilt or restored in the Republican and Imperial eras they were replaced by marble or gilded bronze. Nearly all temples in Rome were topped by free-standing statues. This architectural feature was abandoned in the middle ages (no statues on top of Rome's late ancient and medieval churches) but came back in the 17th and 18th c., notably for the facade and elliptic porticoes of Saint Peter Basilica, or the facade of Saint John Lateran.

In fact, when you admire the facade of St Peter Basilica in Rome, you can think Trajan's Forum looked the same. Its dimensions were smaller but not much : 95 m for the Basilica Ulpia facade, 113 m for the St Peter Basilica facade, both being topped with rows of free-standing monumental statues. The big difference are the colors: The facades of Trajan's forum were made of all kinds of white or colored marbles, granite, probably also porphyry, plus the gilded bronze (but you cannot see it on coins), while St Peter's facade is monochromatic. But if you enter St Peter Basilica, you will find all these colored precious stones inside, exactly like in a Roman temple, basilica or thermae of Antonine or Severian era. The popes who built St Peter had Amminanus Marcellinus in mind : a "gigantic complex (...) never again to be imitated by mortal men" he said. It sounded like a challenge, and they proved Christian Rome could surpass Pagan Rome.

Limes and Ancient Aussie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted