A Tiny coin, Really Tiny

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Feb 15, 2016.

1. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Defintally! I do not know how I would cut the dies either, even with modern technology! let alone keep a coin that small in my pocket

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a great little coin, Bing! Apparently rather rare too.

I've shown these many times but here are my smallest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MACEDON, uncertain
    c. 500 BCE
    AR trihemitetartemorion (trihemiobol), 6 mm, 0.28 gm (first coin), 5 mm, 0.26 gm (second coin)
    Obv: monkey squatting left
    Rev: round shield or pellet within incuse square
    Ref: "Uncertain Thraco-Macedonian Coins, Part II", Nomismatika Khronika (1998, Tzamalis), 67
    This odd series showing a monkey squatting either right or left with a round shield on the reverse, is the only Greek coinage of the classical period to depict such an animal. Monkeys are known to have been kept as house pets in antiquity, but its significance in this context is unknown.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I still say it looks like a baby in the womb.

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  5. Joe LeMay

Joe LeMay Active Member

[​IMG]

My tiniest!

Ionian Shores

500 B.C.
    1/96th stater (electrum or silver)
    0.10 gm, 4.5 mm
    Obv.: Smooth surface, traces of lines
    Rev.: six or seven round pellets in incuse

brassnautilus, chrsmat71, Eng and 6 others like this.
  6. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Holy cow, these are awesome, tiny coins!

Thanks, again, for expanding my wishlist, everybody. :writer::D

Erin

stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Three minimi here.
    1. AE minime, barbaric imitation of a Constantinian Gloria Exercitus, 4th cent. 7,5 mm, 0,70 gr.

2. AE minime, Hephthalites in Malwa (India), about 6th cent. AD. Obv. sun wheel. Rev. two Brahmi characters: Ji Shnu. 7 mm, 0,50 gr. Mitchiner MAW 4903. See Göbl Hunnen type 192 (letters). Not in Pfisterer or Vondrovec.

3. A Phocaea electrum 1/24 stater, 6th cent. BC, my oldest coin; Obv. a seal. Rev. incuse. 7 mm, 0,69 gr.

I have a fondness for seals, and naturally, the seal ('phocas') was the favorite animal of the Phocaeans. Also, I collect coins of the Huns.

088.JPG

8. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

If i wanted to purchase a tiny coin such as the ones depicted above, how much money do i have to save up in order to be able to purchase one?

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't have my notes in front of me but I think my smallest ones were around the $30 range...I'll look it up and post pics and some price ranges later. If you know what you want or are interested in it can help narrow things down a bit more.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That all depends on the rarity and condition of any particular coin. I'll tell you the OP coin was $38 shipped but you need to compare it to the coins in which you might be interested.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, my examples ranged from $50 to $200 (the mean was probably pretty close to $125 for my sweet mini ancient archaic examples) ...

Hey, just because they're small, doesn't mean that they're inexpensive

=> but they're among my favourites (the big ones and the wee ones have a place in my heart)

:rolleyes:

brandon spiegel likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WHAaaaat??? Mine are ALL priced at spot-metal prices! LOL, you got RIPPED, Dude!!! :D :D :D (Ooops... well, just kidding)

@brandon spiegel : Naw, I agree with Steve... depends on quality, rarity, desirability etc. Mine was approx $75, and it was a great Deal for me. :)

What is cool: you own something 2000 years old, unusual size or design compared to today's coinage, and honestly, relatively inexpensive for a Museum piece! Join us collecting Ancients! Really fun!

stevex6 likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Yes, join us!

[​IMG]

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ah...I had to toss in one more.

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

No... let the ancients flow TO you :D

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sometimes the lil' coins kick ass!!

Jwt708 and GregH like this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That IS better! Next time!

18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Interesting that you post barbarous minimae. I believe I've collected one by pure chance - it came as part of a larger lot. It apparently imitates a CONSECRATIO type of Claudius II. The official coins weigh in at around 3g. This one is a mere 0.8g. It's not merely an undersized flan - it's quite obvious that small dies were cut to fit small coins, following the official devices.

minima claudius g.jpg

My friend Tom Wood at Ephesus Numismatics believes the minimae were military tokens. He has an impressive collection spanning several centuries which I got to view in Baltimore a few shows back. These are sorely under-researched and under-published coins. They need a dedicated scholar!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I must know more!

20. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'll pick Tom's brain at the next show and report back to you.

Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I think Bing posted a Caria example, yes? (I'll go check and be right back)

Hmmm, I think I may have another example ...

lion scorpion aa.jpg lion scorpion bb.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted