A Tetradrachm of Philip II of Macedonia (almost)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Jul 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Compared with a Roman republican denariius, my latest coin seems impressively large and three dimensional. This is not a Macedonian tetradrachm with a portrait of Philip II, father of Alexander "The Great". However, it is not far off, the Greek writing on the back well done and the portrait not unfaithful to the original. So similar that there is one very close sold in 2017 from Numismatik Naumann as
    [​IMG]
    Philip II (359-336 BC). Tetradrachm. Amphipolis.
    Le Rider pl. 47, 23; SNG ANS 794; HGC 3.1, 988 (Kassander).

Misidentified? If anyone has a copy of Le Rider Philippe, I would like to confirm the reference to pl. 47, 23.

One interesting paper here (in German) that discusses the people who minted these coins - with the Thracians discussed for earlier more faithful copies before Celts were in the region. I find this an amazing 2300+ year old coin.
    Philip II Tetradrachm Celtic.jpg
    Eastern Europe, imitating Philip II of Macedon, 3rd century BC, AR Tetradrachm, (25mm, 13.80g). Complete legend type. Struck in the central and lower Carpathian region (Modern Romania)
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right
    Rev: ΦIΛIΠΠ-OY, Nude youth on horseback left, holding rein and palm frond; Λ above torch below, monogram below raised foreleg.

Before the coin above this coin better represented my expectations from an "imitative" tetradrachm: Celtic Tet Philip III.jpg

Tetradrachm from the lower Danube area imitating issues of Philip III of Macedon.
    Obv: Stylized head of Herakles right (nose right)
    Rev: Zeus enthroned holding a bird

Additional references, corrections and comments are always appreciated. Post your coins of Philip II, Eastern European and Celtic imitative coins, or anything you find interesting or entertaining.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

CelticDrImitPhilipII.jpg
    CELTIC. Danubian Celts. Philip II. AR Drachm by weight (4.2 gm, 3h, 22mm), ca. 2nd-1st Century B.C. Obv: Abstract head of Zeus right. Rev: Rump and rear and fore legs of abstract horse, left

4. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

One of my most attractive coins is just that, an early imitation of a tetradrachm of Philip II. I have the origin noted just as 'Eastern Celts, Lower Danube'.

4005 e co.jpg

Early 3rd century BC. Early imitation of a Philip II tetradrachm of Amphipolis. Fourrée (at the edge some giveaway spots). Obv. Laureate head of Zeus t.r., behind it, a leaf. Rev. Jockey and horse riding t.r. Under it, labda over a bucranium. Under the prancing leg of the horse, an A. 24.5 mm, 13.85 gr. Flesche -. Cf. Göbl Ostkeltischer Typenatlas 10 1 and 2.

There is an added impression of this coin in my notes:
    The original Philip of Macedon style is heroic and realistic. The design of this coin is ever so slightly distorted into a surrealistic portrait - with its very short upper lip and huge bearded jaw, and its large temple, the man's gaze aiming intensely forward.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Ryro, Justin Lee, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I actually find these Celtic coins somehow attractive, they are not as beautiful and stylish as its Greek counterpark but still they are cool.

I have some imitations but not from Makedonian coins, so hereby a 1/5th tetradrachm:

[​IMG]
    Philip II (359-336 BC). AR Fifth Tetradrachm. Posthumous issue by Philip III Arrhidaios (323-317 BC) in the types of Philip II. Amphipolis mint. Struck under Polyperchon, circa 318-317 BC.
    Obverse:
    Head of Apollo right, wearing tainia.
    Reverse: ΦIΛIΠΠOY, Horseman riding right; monogram below.
    Reference: Le Rider pl. 45, 7-9; Troxell, Studies, Group 7, 366-8; SNG ANS 650

Ryro, Alegandron, PeteB and 4 others like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I find these East European and Celtic imitations pretty interesting as well, though I haven't looked into them very much.

Celts in E Europe - Tetradrachm Philip II 3489.jpg
    CELTS IN EASTERN EUROPE
    AR Tetradrachm. 13.49g, 24.9mm. Unfaithful legend type, imitating Philip II of Macedon, circa 3rd century BC. Cf. Göbl, OTA pl. 4, type 14 (cf. 14/4 var.); Lanz 357 (this coin). O: Laureate head of Zeus to right. R: Rider on horseback to right, holding palm branch; ΦΙΛΙΠ-Π• around, Λ and [torch] below horse, dolphin before.
    Ex Hermann Lanz Collection; published in M. Kostial, Kelten im Osten - Gold und Silber der Kelten in Mittel- und Osteuropa - Sammlung Lanz (Staatlichen Münzsammlung München, 1997); Exhibited by the Staatlichen Münzsammlung München at the 1997 International Numismatic Congress in Berlin; at the Berliner Bank also in 1997; also exhibited at the Luitpoldblock Palmengarten, Munich in 2003 (exhibition #65[obverse]).

Alexander the Great - Tetradrachm Eastern Imitation 2986.jpg
    CELTS IN EASTERN EUROPE
    AR Tetradrachm. 16.92g, 25.2mm. Eastern European imitation of Amphipolis mint, circa 3rd century BC. Price B6 (p. 507). O: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin. R: AΛEΞAN∆POY / BAΣIΛEΩΣ, Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; no controls.

Ryro, Alegandron, PeteB and 3 others like this.
  7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

A wonderful coin and the description you noted fits well: "so slightly distorted into a surrealistic portrait"
    Agreed!
    That portrait of Alexander is especially wonderful, slightly distorted, surrealistic and fierce.

Pellinore likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I really like the way the Celts depict the Horse. A very similar style across the tribes.

Kugelwange type

[​IMG]
    Celtic Imitation Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Kugelwange type- Danube Valley - Ex: Pecunum Auction

Fat horse
    [​IMG]
    Celt Imit Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Zeus Horse pellet-in-annulet above Kugelwange type- Danube Valley - Kostial 508 OTA 204

Ryro, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Philip II

[​IMG]
    Makedon Philip II AE 18 Apollo - Youth Horseback spear hd below 359-356 BCE 18mm 6.2g SNG ANS 850-1

[​IMG]
    MAKEDON Philip II 1/5th Stater Apollo head r - Horseman r trident below as S6691

Pellinore, Ryro, Bing and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted