A suspicious Julius Caesar Elephant

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NLL, Aug 21, 2018.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I saw this coin for sale online and was wondering if you guys saw any thing wrong with it. All I can see that is wrong with it is the way the flan looks and it looks like part of the portrait looks off. Anything else look off about this coin? Do any of you think this coin is real? Thanks for your time. Screenshot_20180820-214626-ccfopt.jpg Screenshot_20180820-214629-ccfopt.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The pictures are too small and poor-- can't say much about the authenticity.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a coin that would bring hundreds of dollars at a legitimate auction if genuine. If you had such a coin, wouldn't you take a high-quality photo of it so as to fetch the highest possible price? Wouldn't you consign it to a reputable firm to sell?

Know the coin is genuine, or know the dealer is reputable with expertise, OR DO NOT BUY.

The circumstances alone are so suspicious, I would stay away from this one. It's probably a fake.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Cucumbor, NLL, Orielensis and 3 others like this.
  6. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very few people think like you do. I have purchased coins worth several hundred dollars from worse photographs. Most often, the sellers are just incapable of taking a decent photo or do not know how to sell it to get maximum dollar

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

SOMETIMES that may be true. More often, in my experience anyway, a photo is intentionally bad so as to hide problems or outright fakery.

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..as a rule, one shouldn't buy anything without suspect from Bulgaria..

NLL likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

will not buy anything from Bulagia, Cyprus or Greece

11. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

From a non-expert - the elephant's legs look like massive tree-trunks, with trunk to match. Reminds me of a kiddie's drawing. Unless created by a Roman Picasso ???

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Sometimes I'll take a risk, but I wouldn't touch that one. Even if it weren't from a suspect source country, the fabric would put me off.

13. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I would never buy a coin represented with such poor photography. It is just too easy to create reasonable digital photographs today. I would not expect this to go for a very high price, and more than likely it will be no bargain.

Roman Collector and NLL like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted