A study of online marketing by Great Southern Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RonSanderson, May 21, 2017.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

With better pictures it is very easy to identify. Their pics did not help them out in this situation :) Here is an AU58 with an asking price of almost $400 more than I paid for a MS63. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-2-5-In...884072?hash=item3617952428:g:fj4AAOSw42dZC~w9

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Is anyone going to pay that price? Listen, I take a lot of abuse for paying premiums for toning, but at least I can see it.

4. jwitten

5. D-Train

D-Train proof coin enthusiast

Umm, OK, here's another noob question. What is a "retained cud"?? o_O

6. jwitten

Here is a pic of the retained cud I cherry picked from them:
    j5.jpg

7. D-Train

That's nice but I still don't know what a retained cud is. :confused:

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

https://www.pcgs.com/Lingo/C

Cud at the very bottom. In the picture posted its from the rim to the line that goes from the / to A

9. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

It's an edge break on a die that hasn't fallen away yet. When it does, you'll just see a featureless lump on the coin where it used to be.

RonSanderson likes this.
  10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

How do you interpret this coin from GSC?

The devices look as if they have a cameo effect.

What's strange is that the outline of the bust is bright but turns matte further out.

For instance, between the right of the Indian head and left of "LIBERTY", there's a starkly contrasting shift in the field's sheen. What's going on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292128884102

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jwitten

To me it looks like the surface is bent or contoured or something. So not a difference in surface, but in light reflection. I don't know buffaloes, so don't know if it is a weird clash or what.

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

One thing I find peculiar about GSC is that their photos look super high quality, yet you can't zoom-in when you hover over the image. Even when you open the image in a new tab/window and manually zoom-in, it gets blurry. It's as if it's been taken with a high resolution, but then resized downwards. Whether or not it's intentional, I don't know.

jwitten likes this.
  13. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

Same here, I was able to cherrypick an 1869 FS-301 shield nickel from GSC which I posted pictures of in another thread. To be honest I thought the coin looked just as good in hand as in their pictures. The post and images received good feedback and no indications it was a problem coin. I also won a 1914 quarter eagle from them but once I received it I noticed a fairly significant rim ding that led me to sending it back. Did they knowingly advertise a coin without mentioning the rim issue? It's possible but it's also possible they just threw the coin online without noticing it. Either way they accepted the return with no questions asked and I think that is commendable on their part. I know I am not nearly as knowledgeable or seasoned as some of the other collectors here (not afraid to admit that either), these are just my experiences with GSC - whether it's worth the 2 cents or not. I will say I do still browse their listings from time to time knowing full well any coin could have an issue with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jwitten likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I think it has an alternate definition also. Something to do with cows and chewing.

15. D-Train

OK I think I get it now. From the tail of the big 2, it crosses halfway through the / then runs along the top of Dolla, right? It's a rather odd effect. Does this make the coin more valuable, like an error coin?

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Technically it is an error coin, and yes they can increase the value especially on a series that doesn't seem them often

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

18. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

This is not an expensive coin, but my purchases are limited. First are the GSC photos, then mine. I cannot prove that all coins are accurately described, but in my very limited experience all of mine were.
    05c 1936 #02 obverse 01.jpg 05c 1936 #02 reverse 01.jpg

This is the appearance in hand. Everything I see in their photos I can see in one of mine. Of course, what I see in theirs is not in every single one of mine; that's just the nature of changing the light angle and exposure. I think if I underexposed the photo a bit more I could capture that richer coloring.

05c 1936 #02 full 01.gif
    05c 1936 #02 obverse 05.JPG 05c 1936 #02 reverse 05.JPG

19. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

How deep is that scratch beneath the buffalo's (bison's) belly?

From GSC's pic, it appears very clearly present.

From your gif, it appears that it's there and not there, as if it's a thicker hairline.

I'm trying to learn how to interpret GSC's photos, and your answer should help a lot.

20. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I will check it under a loupe when I get back home tonight. I have not noticed it in hand, if that helps. I will also look at the field between the legs. It looks like there may be faint die scratches.

21. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I've been dipping in and out of this thread since its beginning and haven't read it entirely. But I think your comparison shows exactly the degree to which GSC juices its coins. It's not blatant juicing; however, the color and contrast, and as a result the degree of luster, are clearly bumped up in the GSC photos compared to yours—and I think you take excellent, realistic photos. This extra "seduction" of GSC photos is precisely why they're able to move as much "average-looking" material as they are.

RonSanderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted